Google Buys Nest

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by chris, Jan 13, 2014.

1. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

Google bought Nest today for $3.2 billion. Yes, billion with a b. I own a few Nest products and for the most part, they work well with my iPhone. My thermostats seem to go offline a bit too much for my taste, but overall I'm happy with the product.They've said they will continue to support iOS, no real surprise there. I wonder what it means for future products. I also wonder if this will enable them to cut the price on some of their products. I have one Nest Protect and paid $129 for it. If they were cheaper, I'd add more of them. After 7 years, you have to replace them (standard CO/smoke detectors are the same), but that's a bit tough considering the price.

I forget the name, but Google bought a photo plugin company and cut the price. The Motorola devices are all cheaper than they would be under Moto. Maybe this will work for consumers, maybe we'll see more affordable technology.

Then again, I walked by my Nest tonight and could have sworn I saw Adsense.:LOL:

2. iprncess

iprncess Member
    Bronze

I had plans to purchase one but no thanks. Google is too intrusive. I don't want them with anymore access to what happens on my home network than they already have.

3. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

They've said the information regarding their privacy policy will remain the same, but that's the Nest guys saying that on the day of acquisition. 6 months, a year or even 2 years down the road, that could change.

The Nest thermostat is nice and I think it's definitely saved us a few bucks over the course of the last year and a half since we installed them. I'm not sold on the Protect. Apparently, regular smoke/CO detectors auto connect through the wiring, so if an alarm goes off -- they work in unison. Nest Protect does this, but through WiFi. So you need multiple Nest Protects for it to work. I put one near my kitchen. Basically, I was sold on the "heads up, there's smoke" feature, rather than having to fan a beeping alarm every time I cook steak. It works as advertised, but it's going to cost me at least another $129 for our bedroom, which is on the second floor.

I think Google might lower prices. Just a hunch. Who knows, now that the Nest guys have all this cash, maybe that will be part of their strategy. They do need a way to make this technology more accessible.

Do you think Google will eventually change the policies of Nest?

4. iprncess

iprncess Member
    Bronze

I have a pretty good system through my alarm company with app integration but it doesn't learn our habits like Nest. I can set a rule for it to turn off when the alarm is set or things like that.

I think they will definitely change those policies.

5. Docd

Docd Contributor
    Silver

I'm sure they will change the policies as they are always updating them so it will change. Just how much they change them is the question?

I like the products and don't have much problem with it dropping wifi connection. Did that some at first but it's rare now. I do wish the battery powered protect would talk to the thermostat more often as mine is not in a place with a lot of traffic.

Sent from my iPhone using My fingers.

6. iPutz

iPutz Zealot
    Silver

"Well, there goes the neighborhood". I have to agree with iprncess, Google is ofttimes far too intrusive with it's practices and not at all upfront about the intrusiveness until they've been caught. Nest execs may say now that nothing will change but once the deal is complete they won't have a say anymore. My son has Nest thermostat in his house and loves it but has said he'll toss it at the first hint of Google trying to collect data from it.

7. ivantwilliams

ivantwilliams Evangelist
    Gold

I have to wonder and ask myself, "What is with this NEED to collect data on everything?"

Damn it, I just want to 'be'. Stop collecting or looking at my data...

8. iPutz

iPutz Zealot
    Silver

Turning data over to advertisers=$$. It's that simple. I agree with you "Leave me alone!"

9. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

I'm not sure what Google stands to gain from collecting data about my heating and cooling, other than I'm stingy and will freeze a bit to cut costs.:LOL: As a consumer, what's really left of our privacy. Every time we buy something online, it seems I've magically joined 15 email lists. Google already knows about my travel and can alert me with Google Now. What about Verizon, Comcast or your cable provider. Are they collecting data about what I watch, view online?

If you think Google owning Nest is an opportunity for data collection, wait until Google Fiber comes to your town. Oh and if they did come here, I'd sign up.

I think some of the brushback is Google being Google. They say one thing and do another thing. The sheer size of the company makes them scary. Owning a website, I deal with them from the search perspective and that certainly has created some ill will between me and the big G.

As for advertising, Google already knows me. When I visit this site (and I'm not logged in), I see relevant ads for Monoprice, TiVo, Apple products. If I start seeing them on my Nest, then I'll be worried.