Google Calendar SMS alerts

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Rip, Nov 5, 2007.

1. Rip

Rip Member
    Silver

I use Google Calendar for managing appointments and the SMS alerts to remind me.

This worked great until switching to my iPhone.

Now, I receive a message from Googl, (note the missing 'e'), with no content in the speech bubble.

It works fine on other phones.

My thinking is that the message is all contained in the 'from' field, and the iPhone app truncates it to Googl, and then sees no message. Is this correct?

Anyone else here using this and is there a solution?

2. Kentucky

Kentucky New Member
    Bronze

I thought about using Google calendar but the iPhone calendar lets me set appts. with multiple alert repeats at different times and more detailed info input etc. if desired and I don't use up any of my SMS's either . Pretty nice !

3. Rip

Rip Member
    Silver

Google Calendar does all of that and syncs with iPhone Calendaar. And the SMS are free.

4. Fayewolf

Fayewolf Member
    Bronze

Why are the SMSs free?

5. Rip

Rip Member
    Silver

Because Google are sending them to you, rather than the other way around.

How they do them for free I don't know.

6. Kentucky

Kentucky New Member
    Bronze

Google themselves don't charge you per se but I've been told that with SMS's you are credited against one SMS when you send one and also one when you receive one. I know that when I signed up for football game scoring updates and was sent maybe 5-10 or so SMS alert messages during the game that receiving those, counted against my 200 free allotment from the basic ATT plan. Some carriers out there don't charge for received ones but ATT and most do.

7. Hawk

Hawk Genius
    Gold

I believe you are incorrect about the cost.
    If you have the standard AT&T iPhone plan, then you get 200 SMS messages free. That counts both incoming and outgoing. once you pass 200 messages, then there will be a charge for each additional message either sent or received until the billing cycle ends, and the message count resets.

8. Rip

Rip Member
    Silver

As far as I know there's no charge for receiving texts in the UK and I certainly haven't noticed it on my bill.

9. seb481

seb481 New Member
    Silver

In Europe (I know because I'm French), you don't get charged for incoming SMS or incoming calls. In the US, incoming SMS and incoming calls are debited from your account, which to me doesn't make sense. But thats the way it is

10. seb481

seb481 New Member
    Silver

But Google calendar allows you to invite others to join for a meeting for example. I personally use iPhone calendar for personal stuffs and I use google calendar for work (all my company uses it)