Google Contacts and Ringtones

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
For a while now I've been syncing me and the wife's iPhones to my Google account using Nuevasync. We love it, but there is one issue that keeps popping up: every now and then our ringtone assignments disappear.

Now, I'm not sure how the ringtone assignment is even saved seeing as how there's no field for it on Google. But they seem to save fine usually. It's just every so often, they don't... :p

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this or knows what causes it. Also, every now and then all my contacts just completely disappear from the phone (usually right after successfuly looking up a contact), and I have to wait for it all to come back from the cloud. It can be very aggravating.

Are these things maybe related? Let's hear from other Google syncers...

ZR_Yancy

Genius
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Florida
I don't understand. Why would you need an application to sync your phone with your Google contacts. I sync with my Google contacts & calendars but don't use any extra software to do it.

btw... how do you assign ringtones to your contacts in your Gmail contacts? I didn't see that option.

impaler

Silver
Apr 28, 2007
For a while now I've been syncing me and the wife's iPhones to my Google account using Nuevasync. We love it, but there is one issue that keeps popping up: every now and then our ringtone assignments disappear.
Unless you need to sync more than five calendars, you don't need NuevaSync anymore. Google does it natively.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Unless you need to sync more than five calendars, you don't need NuevaSync anymore. Google does it natively.
I know. I haven't made the switch yet because Nuevasync works flawlessly for me (other than this). I've read about a few issues with Google's sync so I thought I'd give it a little while to let the dust settle. If someone can say definitively that this doesn't happen (or hasn't happened yet) with Google sync, I'd be all ears.

I don't understand. Why would you need an application to sync your phone with your Google contacts. I sync with my Google contacts & calendars but don't use any extra software to do it.

btw... how do you assign ringtones to your contacts in your Gmail contacts? I didn't see that option.
It's not an application, it's a free Exchange service that syncs the contacts and calendars on me and my wife's phone automatically... from "the cloud". As I said, there's no option in Google's contacts for "ringtone" so I'm curious how the iPhone and Google sync interaction works, and what may be the cause of me losing ringtones randomly.