Google does some heavy-duty spying in hopes of maximizing your G+ connections

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
The Google+ social network is definitely doing some heavy-duty spying. Today, I was doing some much-needed maintenance on my friends list there (I only use Google+ once or twice a week), and someone I only recently met (via cyberspace, not IRL) showed up up in their "Suggestions | People you may know on Google+" tab. I've only sent this person one single e-mail, and it was from my me.com address, not my Gmail address. Also, said e-mail was sent to this person's Non-Gmail address. I may also have Googled this person's name (a bit nosey, I know) but I don't recall if I did or didn't (and if I did, it was just their first and middle name, because I did not know the person's last name until a few minutes ago when Google+ presented them to me as a person I might know).

This person may have his Non-Gmail e-mail address linked up to his gmail address, and Google may be monitoring their inbox and saw my e-mail address there when I sent that person the one e-mail I mentioned.

Previously, LinkedIn had impressed me on many an occasion with their uncanny ability to seek out people I know and suggest them as contacts, but what just happened to me on Google+ came as a shocker.

Facebook does a really poor job of suggesting people I might know—their suggestions are usually way off—which is probably a good thing.

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
Dude you're overthinking this a tad lol :)
I forgot to update my post. I figured out how they did it. Once a month or so, I sync my me.com contacts to my GMail contacts to have a backup, just in case... I'd forgotten I had done that since adding the new contact. So G+ basically looked at my GMail contacts and suggested I might know the person. I can't fault them for that.