Google Drive: Still at 5GB?

Which is your favorite Cloud Storage Service?

• Skydrive

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Google Drive

• Amazon Cloud Drive

• Kim Dotcom's Mega Cloud Sharing Service (to each his own! LOL!)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
Greetings, I read recently that Google Drive standard (free) capacity should increase to 15GB (by being merged with Google Photos and Google Gmail.)

As the following settings pane shows, I'm still on 5GB (as of the date/time of this post).

I know that articles out there have mentioned that it's a gradual roll-out, so I'm not panicking just yet. Have any of you been upgraded to the new 15GB capacity for Google Drive+Photos+Gmail?

I'm currently very, very happy with Skydrive (I'm one of the lucky ones that get 15GB due to the longevity of my account with them), but I would like to compare which of these services would offer the greatest, most secure, and most relevenet features to someone trying to embrace cloud storage like myself.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I switched to Google Drive for a while, but I went back to DropBox after less than a year. It was mainly due to a couple of limitations in the iOS Google Drive app.

Santa

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 2, 2009
Colorado, USA
I haven't really tried Google Drive. I've got 8Gb on dropbox, and that's been fine for me. And since dropbox works just fine, I've seen no reason to try any of the alternatives.

15 Gb is pretty cool though. I've only got about 2gig of email.

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
I switched to Google Drive for a while, but I went back to DropBox after less than a year. It was mainly due to a couple of limitations in the iOS Google Drive app.
I think I'm going to stick with SkyDrive for the time being....

-- My iMac's hard drive recently died, so I'm now on my Macbook Air exclusively until I have the funds to buy a new iMac (or perhaps a Mac Pro?!? Why not?!?). I don't need the horsepower of a Mac Pro, and I'll be the first one to admit that, but when it comes to computing power, I like to have the latest, greatest, and fastest, even if I don't need it. This is just the way I've been hard-wired.

...Additionally, I'm trying to say that I have newfound respect for storing documents on the cloud--the cloud that grants me the most GB and is able to provide both an iphone- and OS X-native application is the one I'm going to go with.

jmp316

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 10, 2008
Google Drive (with Google Docs integration) is killer. Way better than DropBox IMO. I have gotten my 15gb recently, but maybe because I have had my Gmail account for so long (got it when Gmail was still invitation only). Hope you get it soon!

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
I really, really enjoyed Dropbox, but I had a very difficult time coercing, er, convincing people to sign up with my invitation link so I'm stuck at near-minimum capacity. I do realize there's more to it than just clicking the invite link, and some less-than-techie types may be intimidated by all the steps that they have to perform (and they obviously must complete ALL of them before you get your extra half gig), so when I got the 15GB at Skydrive I was on them like white on rice!

jmp316

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 10, 2008
Well I heard reports that Flickr may give users 1TB free space soon... Too bad this can't be used for files. :(

Santa

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 2, 2009
Colorado, USA
I really, really enjoyed Dropbox, but I had a very difficult time coercing, er, convincing people to sign up with my invitation link so I'm stuck at near-minimum capacity. I do realize there's more to it than just clicking the invite link, and some less-than-techie types may be intimidated by all the steps that they have to perform (and they obviously must complete ALL of them before you get your extra half gig), so when I got the 15GB at Skydrive I was on them like white on rice!
yes. I only got the referral once (for my wife). I got a boatload of extra free space when I helped them test their photo/sync/upload thingee for the iPhone.