Google Drive vs iCloud

1. Luxo

Luxo New Member

Which product is better? I find myself always going back to Google Drive for numerous reasons. The biggest reason is, I love the browser capability! I love being able to go anywhere and have all my files and being able to edit them.

2. fury

fury Evangelist Gold

I find the "just works" factor to be significantly higher on iCloud than Google Drive. There are advantages to it that I cannot duplicate with Google Drive. Not the least of which being that it's totally integrated into the OS, right down to backing up the device if I so choose. That, and I have more apps that use iCloud than use Google Drive

3. Avatar

Sponsored Advertisement

4. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius Platinum

I don't think you can say one is "better" since they do different things. iCloud is great for syncing all my info, while google drive is great for storing anything in the cloud to retrieve whenever I want.

Honestly, there's no reason to *not* use iCloud to at least sync your contacts, and it only gets more beneficial if you own other Apple devices or a PC with outlook.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. rom x

rom x Contributor Silver

i have never tried icloud can someone tell me how to set it up on my GS3?

6. fury

fury Evangelist Gold

Sure, just use your Galaxy S3's browser to go to http://store.apple.com/ and buy an iPhone 5 wink2.gif

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  7. Target

Target Evangelist Gold

There is the key difference: storage vs. syncing. iCloud syncs contacts, calendar, notes etc. Google drive (at least for me) is cloud storage.

Target

Sent from my iPad2 using iCafe app

8. Europa

Europa Genius Senior Moderator

I just installed Google Drive on my Mac and iPhone. I don't see the following visibility options on the iOS app, but they are on the mobile website. Am I just missing it or do you really have to leave the app and open the webpage to make a document public?
    Screen Shot 2012-11-09 at 11.15.25 AM.png

9. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius Platinum

Right, that's essentially what I was trying to say.

Not sure, honestly. Never used it for public sharing.

10. mawsmedia

mawsmedia New Member

You don't have to make it public. Anybody can access it unless its really for public.

I use Google drive in securing private files. Never used iCloud.

11. Europa

Now I'm confused. I thought files were private by default?

12. Target

Target Evangelist Gold

They are unless you share the folder out to other users. I use iCloud, Dropbox and google drive, no one has access to my files.

Target

13. Europa

So you can make a public folder and every time you add files to it, it automatically makes them public? That would be nice. I think that's how DropBox works.

14. Target

Target Evangelist Gold

I'm not really sure now. I went to the settings today briefly to look at the security preferences and couldn't find anything about public or private filters. I really need to research this further as I have sensitive files on there.

Target

15. Europa

The files are private by default. My original question was regarding the missing feature that would allow you to make them public from the app. I had to go to the desktop version on mobile Safari to do this. I'll test it tonight and see if files placed in a public folder are automatically public. I hope that's how it works. There isn't a public folder by default; you'd have to create it.

16. Target

Target Evangelist Gold

Ok that makes more sense. I too would like the public folder to share docs. I'm assuming it would be by invitation. I'm going dive in it today.

Target

17. kevin tanicien

kevin tanicien New Member

thanks again. Another post which i found insightful

18. Lon

Lon Evangelist Gold

There is also a great App for Google Drive called G Drive, which adds a lot of options for moving and sending files that aren't available in Google Drive only.