Google Earth Ate My Battery!

sbynyc

Bronze
Jul 31, 2007
Greetings all. Last week I download the free Google Earth app. Almost right away I noticed a precipitous drop in battery life, a problem I never had before but have read about with some interest and amusement on this forum. For example, I use my iPhone 3G to wake me in the morning; on the first two mornings after I downloaded the app. a fully charged battery was wiped out overnight and the iPhone shut itself down before the alarm was to go off. Surely, after I deleted Google Earth, everything is back to normal. Is there a setting I should I have engaged in Google Earth to prevent this? It's certainly not the end of the world as the app was more for fun than anything serious so I won't miss it but it would be nice to know if anyone else encountered this problem and found a remedy.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
turn location services off if you don't need to include your location when using the app. Location services by itself is a huge battery drain.

sbynyc

Bronze
Jul 31, 2007
turn location services off if you don't need to include your location when using the app. Location services by itself is a huge battery drain.
But that would drain the battery even when the app isn't running?

jsntrenkler

Zealot
Silver
Sep 22, 2008
Tucson Arizona
I have not experienced the Battery drain issue with Google Earth. Works just fine for me.

tj911t

Bronze
Jul 7, 2007
I also have noticed a noticeable drop in battery life since I loaded google earth last week and I DO HAVE location services turned off? Is there a bug that keeps location services on even after shutting them down manually?

sbynyc

Bronze
Jul 31, 2007
I also have noticed a noticeable drop in battery life since I loaded google earth last week and I DO HAVE location services turned off? Is there a bug that keeps location services on even after shutting them down manually?
I just reinstalled GE and disabled location services. Battery dropped like a piano from the top of the Empire State Building. I've just deleted it again. It wasn't an important app anyway. I'd like to hear Apple's excuse for this if just for the humor value.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
the only other suggestion I can think of is to make sure that it's not updating when you close it. Up at the top next to your signal indicator, if you have the spinning wheel, wait till it's done.

Now I use google earth mostly over wifi. What type of connection are you using?

iksn

Silver
Aug 7, 2008
Near Las Vegas
I haven't had the battery drain, but I've had some kind of general unstableness (I think I just invented a new word) and I was trying to pin down when it began. A lot of people on this forum have complained about safari crashing, a problem I never had till recently. Also, my push email on Yahoo, which I have my exchange email forwarded to since my exchange doesn't play well with the iPhone, has decided to not work all the time, now. It will almost always work when I go into it like a fetch. If I want to reply to an exchange email, I just logon on to OWA through safari, which I have an icon for so all I have to do is type in my password and I am there. A nice work around, but like I said, the push part has had a recent problem, around the same time as the new safari crashes.
I was trying to go by my memory what apps I may have added since all this started and was thinking; maybe Google Earth. Well, I just removed it and rebooted. The reboot even seemed to take longer than normal, I arrtribute that to the larger amount of processor and memory usage that it required.
This is all theory, but we will see what we will see. I know that Google Earth while being fun, was actually useless, as the Google maps that comes with the iPhone does everything you need regarding traffice patterns and where you are.
I will report back.

iksn

Silver
Aug 7, 2008
Near Las Vegas
I wasn't even referring to a battery problem. I had other problems that I believe "might" have had something to do with the app. I have found over time, that new problems on most smart phones I've ever had (Blackberrys) had to do with new apps that either had a problem, or didn't play well with other apps.

tj911t

Bronze
Jul 7, 2007
I wasn't even referring to a battery problem. I had other problems that I believe "might" have had something to do with the app. I have found over time, that new problems on most smart phones I've ever had (Blackberrys) had to do with new apps that either had a problem, or didn't play well with other apps.
Now that I think of it, I have had some other strange behavior (other than battery drain) since I installed GE about 1-2 weeks ago like lock-ups and shut-downs that did not really shut down properly? What I mean is that I did a shut-down by holding the top button and then sliding the shut down slider and then put the phone away. Then when I pulled it out later, it was still on? I am not sure if GE is responsible so I will keep an eye out now that I have removed GE from my apps.