Google Exchange Active Sync

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ivantwilliams, Dec 28, 2012.

1. ivantwilliams

ivantwilliams Evangelist
    Gold

I think this is a hot topic, no?

As many of you already know, Google will discontinue Exchange Active Sync on Jan 30th 2013.
    I typically setup my GMail on my iOS devices using Exchange. With Google discontinuing this service, that means, Calendar and Contacts will not work the same.

So, I guess my question to you, You, and YOU, is, how will you now work with your Calendar and Contacts on iOS devices?

Go...

2. ivantwilliams

ivantwilliams Evangelist
    Gold

I've been reading about this change that Google has decided to make.

For me, I think my solution is to use my Google Apps domain. I'd stopped using it as my main account for a while. But, since I'm a gadget person, and constantly trying different OS', this would probably be the best solution for me.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  3. glsda

glsda Zealot
    Gold

Well I guess I have had my head in the sand or someplace else since I haven't even paid attention to the issue. Thanks for the heads up and I'll respond when I figure out what I'm going to do.

4. ivantwilliams

ivantwilliams Evangelist
    Gold

More details here.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  5. up10ad

up10ad Genius
    Gold

I really don't want to change to using CalDAV and CardDav. Google says " Starting January 30, 2013, consumers won't be able to set up new devices using Google Sync, however, existing Google Sync connections will continue to function." (my emphasis). I think I'll just keep using it and see if it keeps working.

6. ivantwilliams

ivantwilliams Evangelist
    Gold

Right, but I wonder what happens if you have to reload your device (restore as new) or something like that.

Sent using iCafe app

7. radtechy

radtechy Contributor
    Bronze

This suuuuuuucks!

Navi I guess if you have to reload all the sync settings should be saved in you're backup.

It's probably when setting up a new account when it hits the server will not let you use it under exchange.

Now I'm considering an iPad mini normally I would start it as a new device but if this need be I will use my iPhone back to to the iPad and then toss off app that I won't use on the iPad and rename the device then backup again to create a new backup. Not sure if the rename will make a new backup? Any ideas?

Sent using iCafe app

8. radtechy

radtechy Contributor
    Bronze

Navi I remember you from the Nextel and the crack berry forums I see we both crossed over to iOS

Sent using iCafe app

9. ivantwilliams

ivantwilliams Evangelist
    Gold

I was going to switch everything over to iCloud, but, I know me, I'll probably try another OS in time, and thus that would be a pain to move data back and forth.

So, I've decided to use my Google Apps account. According to Google, paid users will not be affected by this. I guess Jan 31st 2013 will be the real test :)

PS: It is me, or is it weird that Google are making the switch the same day RIM release BB10? Hmm, interesting, no?