Google I/O and WWDC

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
Did anyone else watch the Google I/O keynote today? I've been watching it live for 3 hours now - they're on the final Q&A just now.

A few very quick thoughts:

-- Super slick presentation, with some amazing graphics.

-- Vic Gundotra is one heck of an impressive presenter.

-- Google+ just gets better and better.

-- The new Google Play Music All Access looks great. Looks a bit like iTunes and Spotify (or similar service) combined. Looks excellent on my Galaxy Note 2.

-- Apple has got their work cut out for them to match a lot of the stuff Google is doing.

What do you all think?

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
I think competition is healthy. It really
Is turning out to be battle over software, and what features/capabilities consumers want.

Another item for your list is Google Maps.

Sent using iCafe app

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
I was hoping for Android 4.3 and some new hardware, as I mentioned on the comments on 24/7 tablets. They seemed to have plenty of good things for developers, which means that flows down to users. Voice search is looking really impressive and so do the new Maps. Both areas where they are killing Apple.

The new music service, that's 7.99 per month if you sign up early, right? Reminds me of Zune Pass, but without the free music. I have to revisit Google Music. I uploaded my stuff there ages ago. Since then, I've updated my computer, so the app is missing. I don't recall if they support playlists and ratings. Both would be huge for me. I've invested so much time in my iTunes library, that I'm hesitant to use anything but, for fear of having to manage yet another library.

The one thing I did not like about Zune Pass was the merging of libraries, with my stuff and stuff that I was basically renting. It was very confusing.

I've tried, but still not very fond of Google +.

Overall, I think they are doing great things from an interface perspective. Love the use of cards throughout.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
Hey Chris - it supports playlists and brought in all of mine from iTunes along with rest of library. I'm not sure how I feel about the mixing of library plus 'rented' content either - hope i won't become too messy.

imutter

Genius
Gold
Apr 4, 2011
Somewhere between DC and Baltimore.
I like Maps of course and NOW but am excited about the picture features
I am impressed so far ... it will be all available at iOS too
did a see the demo the maps on an iPad

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
I like Maps of course and NOW but am excited about the picture features
I am impressed so far ... it will be all available at iOS too
did a see the demo the maps on an iPad
No fair for you to comment on this. You got a Google Glass invite, you're one step away from the Goog board of directors.

imutter

Genius
Gold
Apr 4, 2011
Somewhere between DC and Baltimore.
Yeah I will watch tomorrow ..
unfortunately they have no dates I really hope they have some updates for the ifIhadGlass people.
It's very bare bone but I like people already coming up with tons of App/ideas
I wonder if there is the delay because of some legal/privacy issues they have to cover first?