Google "locate me" feature not working after 1.1.3 jailbreak

callisto9

Bronze
Feb 12, 2008
IOWA
i jailbroke via the tinman/zibri method and everything works well, for the most part. i noticed it downgraded my bootloader (or is it baseband? modem firmware?) to 04.12.13_G and i'm pretty sure it was something else before i jailbroke. is this why my google maps "locate me" (eye icon) is not working?

and, can someone explain to be bootloaded/baseband? for the life of me, i don't know what each one is!

thanks in advance!

callisto9

Bronze
Feb 12, 2008
IOWA
bump!

i've been searching like mad, but i can't seem to find out:

1) how to check which bootloader i have.
2) what IS baseband and what IS bootloader?

from what i can tell, bootloader version has to do with whether or not the phone can be unlocked. and baseband has something to do with...shoot, i don't know.

ok, i found this: baseband = modem firmware. so my current baseband is 04.02.13_G, but i'm pretty sure it was 04.03.13_G before i jailbroke.

enigmanic

Silver
Jun 27, 2007
First off, are you locked or unlocked?

04.12.13_G is 1.1.2's baseband...that's why GoogleLocator isn't working natively for you. Did you do a clean restore to 1.1.3 prior to running Tinman/Zibri's method? Your phone is supposed to have 04.03.13_G in order to get GoogleLocator to work (at least without relying on third party apps).

callisto9

Bronze
Feb 12, 2008
IOWA
First off, are you locked or unlocked?

04.12.13_G is 1.1.2's baseband...that's why GoogleLocator isn't working natively for you. Did you do a clean restore to 1.1.3 prior to running Tinman/Zibri's method? Your phone is supposed to have 04.03.13_G in order to get GoogleLocator to work (at least without relying on third party apps).
i HAD 04.03.13_G before the jailbreak. i did NOT do a clean restore to 1.1.3 - i was already on it.

and i believe i am now unlocked, though i didn't mean to be! i accidentally ran the unlock command first, then jailbreak. i did not intend to unlock.

is there any way to just update my baseband/firmware?

enigmanic

Silver
Jun 27, 2007
i HAD 04.03.13_G before the jailbreak. i did NOT do a clean restore to 1.1.3 - i was already on it.

and i believe i am now unlocked, though i didn't mean to be! i accidentally ran the unlock command first, then jailbreak. i did not intend to unlock.

is there any way to just update my baseband/firmware?
Hmmm..I wonder if the unlock process downgrades your baseband? If that's the case, I don't know if upgrading your baseband would be a good idea, now that you've accidentally unlocked. There is something called "Baseband Updater" in iClarified's source that updates your baseband to 04.03.13_G, but I don't want to suggest something that I'm not 100% sure about. I'm sorry I cant be of more help, but perhaps someone with more knowledge about unlocking can step in.

Meanwhile, if you need a temporary fix: install the app LocateMe and run it prior to running GoogleLocator.

callisto9

Bronze
Feb 12, 2008
IOWA
Hmmm..I wonder if the unlock process downgrades your baseband? If that's the case, I don't know if upgrading your baseband would be a good idea, now that you've accidentally unlocked. There is something called "Baseband Updater" in iClarified's source that updates your baseband to 04.03.13_G, but I don't want to suggest something that I'm not 100% sure about. I'm sorry I cant be of more help, but perhaps someone with more knowledge about unlocking can step in.

Meanwhile, if you need a temporary fix: install the app LocateMe and run it prior to running GoogleLocator.
i wondered that, too. i wonder if i downgraded my baseband when i unlocked. shoot, i wish i hadn't unlocked the phone! LOL

i have seen the iClarified baseband updater, but i'm too scared to try it.

i have installed Locate Me and it seems to be working!

side question: if i restore my iPhone, will it restore to my 1.1.2 OOTB or 1.1.3? and, by restoring, will i lose all my contacts, music, movies, etc? part of me is tempted to start this all over again.

thoughts?

thanks again for your help! it's much appreciated.

enigmanic

Silver
Jun 27, 2007
i wondered that, too. i wonder if i downgraded my baseband when i unlocked. shoot, i wish i hadn't unlocked the phone! LOL

i have seen the iClarified baseband updater, but i'm too scared to try it.

i have installed Locate Me and it seems to be working!

side question: if i restore my iPhone, will it restore to my 1.1.2 OOTB or 1.1.3? and, by restoring, will i lose all my contacts, music, movies, etc? part of me is tempted to start this all over again.

thoughts?

thanks again for your help! it's much appreciated.
If you hit the restore button in iTunes, it will restore your phone to 1.1.3 firmware, with a 1.1.3 baseband. You can alternatively hit shift+restore (if using Windows) and choose what firmware you want to restore to.

But since you're unlocked, I'm going to assume it will "brick" your phone (I use the term "brick" loosely, as most problems can be fixed). Again, i don't know enough about unlocking (I've only unlocked and revirginized a handful of phones back when they were OTB 1.1.1), so I'd wait for confirmation from someone more knowledgeable.

Just remember to back up all your contents to your computer prior to restoring. Good luck and let me know what happens.

callisto9

Bronze
Feb 12, 2008
IOWA
If you hit the restore button in iTunes, it will restore your phone to 1.1.3 firmware, with a 1.1.3 baseband. You can alternatively hit shift+restore (if using Windows) and choose what firmware you want to restore to.

But since you're unlocked, I'm going to assume it will "brick" your phone (I use the term "brick" loosely, as most problems can be fixed). Again, i don't know enough about unlocking (I've only unlocked and revirginized a handful of phones back when they were OTB 1.1.1), so I'd wait for confirmation from someone more knowledgeable.

Just remember to back up all your contents to your computer prior to restoring. Good luck and let me know what happens.
ok, i have restored back to a clean 1.1.3, no jailbreak, no unlock. everything went fine (though i was SCARED!) and it's now re-syncing all my music, contacts, etc. so far, so good. it kept everything intact from before i did the jailbreak. iTunes must do a pretty good job of backing stuff up!

i'm going to re-jailbreak again (without unlocking this time - DUH) and take it from there. i'll post back periodically.

no bricking so far! :eek:

enigmanic

Silver
Jun 27, 2007
ok, i have restored back to a clean 1.1.3, no jailbreak, no unlock. everything went fine (though i was SCARED!) and it's now re-syncing all my music, contacts, etc. so far, so good. it kept everything intact from before i did the jailbreak. iTunes must do a pretty good job of backing stuff up!

i'm going to re-jailbreak again (without unlocking this time - DUH) and take it from there. i'll post back periodically.

no bricking so far! :eek:
Awesome! Good to know. So your phone has service?

callisto9

Bronze
Feb 12, 2008
IOWA
Awesome! Good to know. So your phone has service?
yes, from what i can tell. i see the AT&T logo and bars. i haven't made a call yet since it's still syncing all my photos and stuff. i'll let you know though. i'll do a little checking first and report back.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Yes, Google Maps locate only works under BB 4.03.13, so when you unlocked--causing the BB to be downgraded--it no longer worked.

Hope it finishes up OK!

--
Mike

callisto9

Bronze
Feb 12, 2008
IOWA
so far, so good.

restored to 1.1.3. jailbroke and now on correct firmware. google "locate me" works and so does everything else from what i can tell right now.

getting all my apps back on now...

thanks everyone. much appreciated!

Jun 11, 2007
Lansing, MI
www.freemod.net
So the ZiPhone utility has flaws then after all? Perhaps the topic that has the ZiPhone instructions should be updated to let people know that...

callisto9

Bronze
Feb 12, 2008
IOWA
So the ZiPhone utility has flaws then after all? Perhaps the topic that has the ZiPhone instructions should be updated to let people know that...
look above. i did it a 2nd time with no problems. just don't unlock. just jailbreak. then google's "locate me" works just fine.