Google maps / email integration

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

dakna

Sep 22, 2007
Hi there,

I'm planning to get an iPhone (starting in Germany on 11/9), but after doing a lot of research in blogs/forums I haven't got the answer to the following question:

Is there an integration of Google Maps and the Email Programm?

Further clarification:

As far as I know, the iPhone got no GPS (yet), so the user has to select his location on the map. And links in Safari to http://maps.google.com get displayed in the custom iPhone map software. Is that true for the email app as well?

In other words: Can I click on the map, and send someone an email (or better: an SMS) including that location ("hey buddy, I'm here [LINK], let's meet in 10 minutes") ?

This would be a killer feature, is it possible? If not in email, what about posting the selected location on the map to a website?

Thanks for more information.

dakna

ciaran00

Bronze
Jul 21, 2007
No there is not email functionality from Maps. The best thing you could do is email the link of a location bookmark, if it has one but that's rare.

You could just look it up in Safari and e-mail your buddy the link, but he would have to have access to a browser to check it out.

And there is ZERO integration with SMS...

Sorry.

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
I think its ironic that the Mail app will pick up on YouTube links and launch the conduit when a link is clicked in an email. Conversely, you can email what you're watching on YouTube as well.

The irony? The Map app has no such features.

dakna

Sep 22, 2007
ok, thanks for the info.

I have to say I'm really disappointed about that. So there is just basic map support, while it could be so much fun. Well, let's see what the next iPhone generation brings.

What I would like to see is:

-1- Custom maps (markers) , like in the Javascript Web version

-2- direct links to / from locations supported in the major communication apps: web (safari) / email / SMS

-3- GPS for location tracking

I'm rather sure we will see that in the future, maybe -1- and -2- via software update and -3- with the next hardware version (3G) ... at least I hope so :)

But I'm still in the market for an iPhone, let's see how expensive the monthly rate will be.

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
Helio's new phone has the maps you're interested in, extremely robust, geolocates your position based on true GPS, navigation support, pushpins and live traffic.

Yeah, thats what happens when you set the standard, everyone else starts from there and builds on top of it.