Google maps images question

IphoneTony

Zealot
Gold
Nov 10, 2007
New Jersey
Does anyone know when the images on the maps are from.. some areas in my neighborhood have had major roads changes and its not on there. Is there a way to update it?

JoeT

Silver
Dec 18, 2007
Tampa, FL
Google licenses aerial and satellite photography that is updated when the content provider does so and when Google subsequently licenses that new content. So no, there's no way to update it.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I've heard some of the data is up to 3 years old. The image of my house is from the previous owners with their wussy yellow car in the driveway. Hate it.

I can also still see my old car (actually, 3 cars ago at this point!) at my old job if I zoom in. I remember the day... I was parked awkwardly in a spot waaaay in the back of the lot because of the flower show...

... anyway, no, you can't control it.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Strange; Last year when I got my iPhone we had a very large tree in front of the house. That tree was highly visible on the iPhone. We took the tree down in mid October and now it has vanished form Google's maps. They must have updated for around here.

- John

wrhutch

Bronze
Jul 9, 2007
Pottsboro Texas
Strange; Last year when I got my iPhone we had a very large tree in front of the house. That tree was highly visible on the iPhone. We took the tree down in mid October and now it has vanished form Google's maps. They must have updated for around here.

- John
Of course, the Goverment is keeping a close eye on you John. ;)

IphoneTony

Zealot
Gold
Nov 10, 2007
New Jersey
I really wish they would update it some of my images are over 5 years old but then I look at other areas and they look like they are from the past year

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Of course, the Goverment is keeping a close eye on you John. ;)
But of course! Bush knows that I despise him so much, so he put in a special request with Google so that he could keep his on me via his iPhone.

- John

Alexander

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2007
Atlanta
My tennis court has been green up until about 6 months ago when we had it repaved blue. The iPhone images recently started reflecting the color change.

Resident Plarp

Bronze
Oct 30, 2007
www2.oakland.edu
Imaging for the 'burbs north of Detroit is old, Old, OLD. The yuppie mall just south of hooch was completed five+ years ago and as of yet, is still in the surveying stage on Google maps. Not that I mind, it's only a mall.