Google Maps & iOS Maps voice guidance does not while phone is charging in car?

Discussion in 'iPhone 5S' started by bitemyapple, Jun 24, 2014.

1. bitemyapple

bitemyapple Member
    Bronze

Just like the titles days. I took my son on a trip the other day, went to use Google Maps for directions on my 5s. The voice guidance would not work while the phone was plugged into my cars outlet (lighter). I then tried my wife's 5c, no luck. We also tried the USB outlet in the car as we'll. However, when charging the phones in our house, Google Maps and the native iOS Maps app work fine, the voice guidance is fine.

Both phones are JB, thought maybe that could be why, however we have very few Cydia apps installed. Has this happened to anyone? Is there a fix?

Thanks!

Edit: Sorry for the title, forgot a word, Tapatalk won't let me edit the title for some reason :(

2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Are you certain the head unit was set on USB and the volume was up when you tried the USB port in the car?

The jailbreak shouldn't affect that.

3. bitemyapple

bitemyapple Member
    Bronze

I'll try it again with the USB port like you said. But why isn't it working where the car lighter usually goes? I have a charger that goes there as well.

4. Nrevezzo

Nrevezzo Member
    Bronze

My daughter had this same issue using her 5C while it was bluetooth connected to the SYNC system. I advised her to disconnect the bluetooth connection. Then she was able to get the turn-by-turn audio; from the phone speaker not the car speakers.

5. ZR_Yancy

ZR_Yancy Genius
    Gold

That's happened to me before but I found out if my iPhone and head unit are connected through Bluetooth but I don't have Bluetooth audio active on my head unit, I won't be able to hear the voice guidance. I'd have to disable Bluetooth on my iPhone to hear the audio from the iPhone speakers.

6. bitemyapple

bitemyapple Member
    Bronze

This is driving me nuts. I drive two cars, one is my new Honda Civic so I connected my iPhone to the car via BT to see how it works since I've never done it before. One time I was able to get Google Maps working and Pandora at the same time for example. Whenever a turn was coming up the music would dim, the direction would be said and then the music would play again, this was all through my cars speakers and while my phone was plugged into the USB port in the car. It's cool and all but it's just too much going on. Then all of a sudden a call came in and I had 3 option on how to answer it lol. How can I just charge my iPhone via the cars USB port and have the voice navigation work the the iPhone speakers? I just turn Bluetooth off?

And then with the older car, no USB port station, voice navigation doesn't work at all?