Google Maps location waaay off...

jmp316

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 10, 2008
Has anyone seen this before, Google maps is telling me I'm 30 miles away from where I am. Keeps going back to the same spot. Tried restoring, tried toggling location services, still not fixed. My wife has an iPhone v1 and her location is correct, so it's not a sattelite issue... Any thoughts?

flabyboy

Jun 25, 2008
Minnesota
my thoughts are that the iPhone GPS sucks a#$. I have had problems with it on both of my phones. sometimes it locates me, sometimes it doesn't. when I am at home it generally has me located in the town 4 miles away. it rarely works for me in the car where it would me most useful. the GPS in this phone is known to be weak. TomTom is actually making an adaptor for their new navigation app on the iPhone that has its own GPS chip that will improve the functionality. I really wish Apple would improve this aspect of the phone because I would love to us apps like trapster and geocache without wanting to throw my phone against the wall.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
My 3GS is as accurate, or more so, than any of the other GPS devices I own. And it works indoors where my other units do not--to the point of pinpointing where I am inside a building. Very impressed.

The posts above sound just like what I got with my 1G iPhone.

--
Mike

flabyboy

Jun 25, 2008
Minnesota
My 3GS is as accurate, or more so, than any of the other GPS devices I own. And it works indoors where my other units do not--to the point of pinpointing where I am inside a building. Very impressed.

The posts above sound just like what I got with my 1G iPhone.

--
Mike
I am using a a 16GB iPhone 3G. Had problems with both of of my iPhones. It has been the one disappointment I have had with this phone. I had an HTC Mogul before my iPhone and the GPS was much more accurate and reliable

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Guess I'm glad I skipped the 3G then. I had no idea its GPS was so bad.

--
Mike

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
Guess I'm glad I skipped the 3G then. I had no idea its GPS was so bad.

--
Mike

I was about to say.... GPS doesn't work indoors. Regardless on whatever people say- it bounces off cellular towers to triangulate your position. The 3G has poor GPS. It's bad. I hope the 3GS has improved GPS signal/reception.

jmp316

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 10, 2008
I got it working again by going outside. Funny thing was is that it pinpointed an EXACT location like 30 miles away over and over again. Weird. Thanks for the help...

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
I was about to say.... GPS doesn't work indoors. Regardless on whatever people say- it bounces off cellular towers to triangulate your position.
Not true.

I have a GPS unit that works nearly as well as my iPhone 3GS. As long as there is some kind of window in the room, it works (no need to be by the window). This isn't a new unit either, bought it in 2006. No cell phone in it, so no tower triangulation. It doesn't pick up as many sats as when outside, but it picks up enough to get a lock.

As for the iPhone 3GS, when I use it indoors and it's pinpointing my location within 10' there ain't no way it's using tower triangulation.

--
Mike

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
Not true.

I have a GPS unit that works nearly as well as my iPhone 3GS. As long as there is some kind of window in the room, it works (no need to be by the window). This isn't a new unit either, bought it in 2006. No cell phone in it, so no tower triangulation. It doesn't pick up as many sats as when outside, but it picks up enough to get a lock.

As for the iPhone 3GS, when I use it indoors and it's pinpointing my location within 10' there ain't no way it's using tower triangulation.

--
Mike
Right. My 3G was very accurate indoors. In a downstairs family room, it would pinpoint me very accurately.

MrMike6by9

Evangelist
Gold
Nov 16, 2008
Maryland, USA
My location is just about spot on but the maps label my house with the number of the house 2 addresses away. Meanwhile, my car NAV system pinpoints a friend's address 500 feet or so from his front door. My earlier Garmin Nuvi was similarly off. That one would also tell me to turn around at another friend's house until I tried to park when it would say, "arriving at destination". Oh, well. YMMV

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
My location is just about spot on but the maps label my house with the number of the house 2 addresses away. Meanwhile, my car NAV system pinpoints a friend's address 500 feet or so from his front door. My earlier Garmin Nuvi was similarly off. That one would also tell me to turn around at another friend's house until I tried to park when it would say, "arriving at destination". Oh, well. YMMV
This is likely a different issue, and can happen with many GPS units too.

Quite often the mapping data doesn't include every single street address. So the GPS "cheats" if you will by using address ranges. If the addresses on a stretch of road go from 200 to 300 it might divide that up equally, so that 250 would be right in the middle. Sometimes that works out well. Sometimes it fails, miserably.

In my experience the closer the address you need is to an intersection the more accurate it can be found via GPS (assuming the GPS doesn't have full address data for that area).

What I do in cases where it doesn't match up right, is add the location manually, once I'm right at it. 'Course by the time I do that I don't usually need the GPS to find it anymore. ;)

--
Mike

chalvear

Jun 22, 2009
My 3G is curious. It has surprised me with extremely accurate positioning inside my house. But other times it shows a position at list 3 blocks away. This tells me is not the phone but the specific place and signal reception.