Google maps now available!

Discussion in 'iOS Software' started by Hawk, Dec 13, 2012.

1. Hawk

Hawk Genius
    Gold

If you are one of the many frustrated with Apple Maps, and can't find a suitable replacement yet, good news! Google Maps is now available in the App Store, and its free!
    The layout has changed a little to give more room for maps, and less borders and such, and it will take a little to get used to, but it looks good!
    And the best part? Yes as you hoped, turn by turn audible directions!
    Try it out and let us know what you think!

2. Ron7624

Ron7624 Member
    Bronze

My first impression is 'wow this is outstanding !'
    Street View feature is very cool located on the halfpage on the bottom of the map.
    As much as I loved everything Apple, this is a very welcome addition

Sent from my iPad mini using iCafe app

3. btitus

btitus Contributor
    Silver

I am one of the fortunate few who did not run into problems with the Apple Map. I also use Waze and Mapquest without any problems. I have downloaded the Google Map but have not tried it out yet. I have read that you have to sign in to a Google account to bookmark places though. For me, that's a deal breaker if that is so and is not quickly changed.

4. Kobel1up

Kobel1up Member
    Bronze

I loved the look of Apple maps. It's clean and fast on my iPhone 4, the down side is that it misses a lot of things I search for. Things that were a simple search, fast food or veterinarian. My first test with google maps reminded me why I loved their app. It works without any problems, so far.

5. Kobel1up

Kobel1up Member
    Bronze

Best part by far, google maps offers voice turn by turn on my iPhone 4.

6. up10ad

up10ad Genius
    Gold

Its just so polished Great app!

7. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

I love the app, it's great. The built in search engine is incredible. It can literally search and find anything... it's immense. Google's done great :)

8. Zanthe

Zanthe #apple
    Gold

I used Apple Maps yesterday and it worked perfectly for me. I dunno.

9. up10ad

up10ad Genius
    Gold

I've been sending corrections to Apple using the in-app tool, but I'll be using GM from now on. Unfortunately the iPhone still opens Apple Maps for any links from other apps like mail, browsers, etc. HMM, I use Chrome as a iPhone browser, I wonder if it can be set to open GM for its map links?

10. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

That would be my issue. I'm finding the integration of Maps in iOS 6 to be great, been using Maps more and more often over Navigon. This might change with Google Maps.

11. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

I haven't used Navigon since iOS6. Navigation is ok, but the app itself is crap. Finally deleted it today now that I have google maps as an emergency alternative to Apple Maps.

12. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

I had to pick something up for my wife yesterday. Used Maps to get there, worked great. I wanted to pick up lunch, so I figured I'd fire up Navigon for POI's. It refused to provide data, said 'contact customer service about registering device', whatever that means.

In the end, I just went home. I blame Navigon for my crappy ham & cheese sandwhich.

13. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

I forgot to mention that also allowed me to delete "Around Me" as well.

I think I get much more satisfaction from deleting redundant apps than installing new ones.

14. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I want to delete Navigon so badly. The only reason I hang onto it is you can add routes when you don't have a signal. iOS maps (and Google Maps too, probably) caches them, but you have to have a signal when you initially add them. I hate the changes they made to Navigon how it's not one big file that you download in iTunes anymore. I've had to install "required files," the states I choose, and extras at least 20 times over the past year. Even resetting settings forces the entire 1.5 GB to be installed again from the phone itself - and it doesn't even download in the background so the phone is useless while it's doing this. I wish I never would have bought panorama view because it's 700 mb and you have to restore all purchases at once. Navigon just isn't worth the trouble anymore. The backwards, awkward method for address input is so terrible that I used Navigate from Maps whenever I was jailbroken and Around Me when I wasn't to bypass Navigon's method of adding addresses.
    /rant
    I think I'll delete Navigon right now.
    Wow. That's funny that you said that, because I feel exactly the same. Sometimes I'll look at my phone and actively try to find apps to delete. I also love throwing away or selling tangible stuff that I don't use anymore. It feels just as good as seeing the FedEx truck pull up in front of my house to deliver something. I have this fundamental need to be somewhat of a minimalist.

15. iP5

iP5 Evangelist
    Gold

Strange. This forum always gave me the impression that if cost wasn't a factor, that Navigon was THE map & navigation app.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

16. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

I would have called it "The pre-iOS6/pre-iphone4S turn-by-turn navigation app". The interface and general usability was horrible, not to mention the price (post-Garmin buyout). Then turn-by-turn navigation became a standard free feature in iOS 6. Apple maps (even with its map shortcomings) and Google maps make Navigon look and feel like junk. Pre-iOS 6 I would have still preferred the stock google-powered maps app than Navigon if it only offered decent turn-by-turn.

In other words, a few months ago it was a serviceable (arguably the best) turn-by-turn app, but still crap compared to Apple's or Google's efforts, in my opinion. I don't think I even bothered to try to use it as a general map or searching app.

17. Terry M.

Terry M. Contributor
    Silver

Wow. First chance I had to use it today and right now it's got me 7 blocks east and 2 blocks south of where I'm actually at! Apple's maps at least found me. Ah well, still early and bugs to be worked out.

18. up10ad

up10ad Genius
    Gold

Navigon did that to mee a few weeks ago. Support told me I needed to reinstall. It fixed it. But that's crap.

19. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

Yeah, what are we running here --- Palm OS?

20. Rugaby

Rugaby Genius
    Gold

Yikes!
    A little bit of me just died when I read that. Then I remembered rim is just as bad.