GOOGLE maps with GPS help?

mac29

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
How do you use the GPS with google maps. Whenever I search for my current location, it will just give me the cross hairs, but if search for a different location, then back to my current location, it will give me that flashing blue ball. How do I use gps outright, when i want to use it?

aenti

Zealot
Gold
Jul 8, 2008
Maryland
The little blue ball is you on the GPS. Apple did not provide turn by turn instruction support with their GPS system.

mac29

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
The little blue ball is you on the GPS. Apple did not provide turn by turn instruction support with their GPS system.
I understand that the blue ball is gps, but what i'm saying is that i can't get that blue ball come up every time. For instance, I'm at work now, and can't get it to come up. It just shows the cross hairs. Yet, I used gps to get here from my house. I just watch the blue ball move all the way here. That was kinda cool...

aenti

Zealot
Gold
Jul 8, 2008
Maryland
It must be because you aren't getting your GPS signal out there then. I know a lot of buildings in New York can block the signal, leading your iPhone to use its pseudo GPS.

firewire

Silver
Nov 4, 2007
It actually works very well in Manhattan believe it or not.

You said you are at work, meaning you are INSIDE an office building. I believe this is what is hampering your signal. We never notice this with car gps systems because usually the only thing between you and the satellite is your car roof, which is very thin.:)

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
I understand that the blue ball is gps, but what i'm saying is that i can't get that blue ball come up every time. For instance, I'm at work now, and can't get it to come up. It just shows the cross hairs. Yet, I used gps to get here from my house. I just watch the blue ball move all the way here. That was kinda cool...
It rarely works for me inside a building. If you want it to just find your location, though, while you're outside, just tap the little circle w/crosshairs on the bottom left. If you're outside, it should zero right in you on.

mac29

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
It rarely works for me inside a building. If you want it to just find your location, though, while you're outside, just tap the little circle w/crosshairs on the bottom left. If you're outside, it should zero right in you on.
Yeah it worked....I went outside and did it, and it came up just fine....thanks...

aenti

Zealot
Gold
Jul 8, 2008
Maryland
Hopefully it will have a point in 2.1, though. Has anyone else heard rumors about turn by turn?

madzanta

Jul 31, 2008
Question: do you get charged for GPS via wifi?
No, as long as the WIFI is free you wont get charged. The iPhone uses triangulation and the built in GPS which is free the use, it then uses your wifi connection to download the maps.

aenti

Zealot
Gold
Jul 8, 2008
Maryland
No, as long as the WIFI is free you wont get charged. The iPhone uses triangulation and the built in GPS which is free the use, it then uses your wifi connection to download the maps.
If you are on ATT's network then it is included in the data plan (when you use it outside of wifi spots)