Google Now might be coming to iOS, do you care?

Discussion in 'iPhone Apps and Games' started by chris, Mar 12, 2013.

1. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

Something curious about this story. How does someone drop a promo video before it's actually available? Why the tease? App Store approval issues?

Do you want Google Now or content with Siri?

#1 chris, Mar 12, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2013
  2. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

More than happy with Siri. I'm not gonna be interested in Google Now--not now, not later...

3. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

Google Now is pretty good in all fairness.

4. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

Here's a description of Google Now for reference.

5. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

This is already available for jailbroken phones. It's called NowNow. It's better than the one that will be available in the App Store because you won't have to open an app to activate it. You can set it up with any activator gesture including using the home button gesture that is used to activate Siri.

6. patrickj

patrickj Genius
    Gold

I probably haven't looked at Now's features closely enough, but it feels to me like a lot of them are very geared towards Mr. / Ms Super Businessy Exec. It knows my travel schedule in advance, it knows about my 12 businesss meetings tomorrow morning, and all that jazz.

I don't need any of that, so I'm good with Siri - though I do need to play with Now more on the Nexus 7.

Hmmm, perhaps I should've just said 'dunno'.

7. ZR_Yancy

ZR_Yancy Genius
    Gold

It's actually not the same. NowNow just gives the user the ability to launch Google Voice Search immediately on iOS. Google Now has cards that display depending on your interests such as sports scores, travel time (traffic) for your commute to your work from home and vice versa. If you use public transit such as subway, train, etc, it remembers and tells you ETA of your ride so you know when to get their and catch it. If you fly a lot, it can automatically tell you the status if the flight like if it's leaving on time, delayed or cancelled. It tracks packages automatically. I find it very useful. If Apple allows this on iDevices, it will be a welcomed app. I would definitely use it on all my iDevices.

Here's a screen shot of Google Now on my Nexus 10.

Screenshot_2013-03-12-21-45-05.png

Pretty much what that video chris posted

8. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Thanks for the clarification. I hadn't actually tested NowNow and didn't know about those limitations. Google Now does sound pretty nice.

9. Chancellor

Chancellor Contributor
    Bronze

I'm obsessed with Google Now, I'd love to have it, in fact I'd pay for it lol.

10. ZR_Yancy

ZR_Yancy Genius
    Gold

You're most welcome. It's not for everyone. If you don't mind Google knowing almost everything about you, it can be your best friend.

11. Lon

Lon Evangelist
    Gold

And don't overlook ActiVoice.

Sent Using iCafe App

12. PinkBanana

PinkBanana Zealot
    Gold

I'd definitely be interested in this for my Stock iPhone 4. I did have NowNow on my Jb 3gs but had to restore it because of stability issues with another app/tweak.

13. kenwolf

kenwolf New Member

Look at an app called Grokr, close to Google Now

Sent using iCafe app

14. psylichon

psylichon Genius

My schedule is pretty random and often poorly documented, digitally. I have a hard time imagining how Google Now will offer me useful data in my daily activities, but I'm definitely willing to give it a try.

I tend to use Siri more for her hooks into the operating system (sending texts, setting timers, alarms, music, etc) than for information, so I feel the two products will serve separate purposes.

15. ZR_Yancy

ZR_Yancy Genius
    Gold

Not really. When it was first available, I was hoping Grokr would work similar to Google Now. It does some things similar but in the end, I was a little disappointed.

16. iP5

iP5 Evangelist
    Gold

I don't use it that often but like when my desktop and mobile search history is in sync.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

17. njdevils1986

njdevils1986 Member
    Bronze

Wow, a month has passed and still no Google Now? :mad: C'mon man!

18. Mthoroughbred

Mthoroughbred Contributor
    Silver

I don't think Google now will ever come to iOS. Google now is for Android what Siri is to iOS. In order for you to fully experience Google now on iOS Apple would have to allow it to use core parts of their iOS and we all know that's not gonna happen. I have a nexus 7 and used it occasionally its pretty good.

Sent using iCafe app

19. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

It's official.
    Google Now for iOS Available As Part Of Google Search Update

#19 chris, Apr 29, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2013
  20. Eragon

Eragon Zealot
    Gold

I've downloaded and installed Google Now, and so far it seems to work just as well as the Android version.

Sent using iCafe app