Google Play Music is an excelllent place to backup your entire iTunes collection

Discussion in 'iTunes' started by Rafagon, Jan 3, 2015.

1. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Anyone can start a free Google Play Music account. It will require your to enter your credit card number, but it won't be charged.

You're allready familiar wth the creation aspect of a Google Play Music account if you were reading my recent thread right here on eiC at http://forums.everythingicafe.com/threads/get-michael-bublés-christmas-deluxe-se-album-free-on-your-mac-or-iphone—from-google-play.107602/

Well, soon after I created my own account there, I realized that Google Play Music offers some great benefits to the end user, should you decide to upload your music collection from iTunes (or from individual folders not imported into iTunes, also.) The Google Music Maanger will scan your iTunes folder(s) and will upload the files contained therein to Google's servers. I assume the fact that iTunes tracks no longer include Digital rights management (DRM) is the main reason that this is legal.

Of course, I've decided to keep my iTunes music collection locally on my computer, but I also decided that backing up my entire music collection to my Google Play Miusic account couldn't hurt. Google Play Music offers me the option of backing up all my tracks to their server, for free… almost à la ITunes Match. I don't know if they compare your .mp3 files to the corresponding .mp3 file on their server and then replace your music with the highest birate version for your particular song, but I will update this post if I find the answer to that question.

Song storage limits for Google Play Music

"You can add up to 20,000 songs (up to 300MB per song) to Google Play Music from your personal music collection using Music Manager. Once you've added your music through Music Manager, you can listen to it through the Google Play Music app and on your computer."

This is nothing to sneeze at. 300MB per song? I'm assuming that rather generous limit on song size is there so that we can upload our music videos as well as our audio tracks. Unless of course you're uploading SACD-quality audio tracks to your Google Play account!

To sum up, why not upload your iTunes collection to Google Play Music for safekeeping? It won't hurt to have a backup copy—especially for those of us who painstakingly ripped over 200 audio CDs to import into iTunes. I certainly would never want to have to rip all the songs on my CDs again. Google Play Music lets you upload both kinds of tracks—purchased tracks on iTunes and non-purchased tracks (such as those you may have ripped from the original audio CDs).

Finally, any songs you purchased from the Google Play Store (such as the recently-offered free tracks that I posted about elsewhere here on eiC) do not count against the already very generous limits on tracks that Google Play is offering.

Good luck, and happy uploading / backing up!

2. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

The biggest difference is that iTunes Match actually matches and that provides younwith access to listen or download. Google Music actually uploads your physical file.

And yes, it's a no brainer to sign up and backup your music to Google Music.

3. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

@chris I am just a newbie here with this Google Music Play stuff, but I think that yes, just like you said, they upload your physical file… but then they do their best to match it to one of their existing stored/saved .mp3's. Meaning that if they approximate your .mp3 files to one of theirs in their [servers], your uploaded file will simply become a pointer to their .mp3 file.

I have to state that I am very much a newbie user vis-à-vis their Google Music Play service, but, this is how I think they match your .mp3 files to their .mp3 files on their library.

Again, there are many of you out there who are seasoned Google Music Play users, and if your knowledge exceeds mine, I will not make the slightest attempt to overrule your knowledge of [Google Music Play].

4. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

5. Santa

Santa Evangelist
    Gold

That is very good news! I'm getting close to running out of space, and I was pondering setting up a 2nd google ID. This is much simpler