Google Reader Getting Killed, Taking Apps Down With It

Discussion in 'iPhone Apps and Games' started by chris, Mar 13, 2013.

1. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

I love Google Reader. I use it every day for work. I've got apps that sync with Google Reader and I love those just as much. Reeder is my favorite. These are all going away, with no suitable replacement that I or anyone has seemed to find. Not only that, this means the end to Feedburner which Google purchased and I use to manage the feeds at eiC among other blogs. I get my news through other sources - Twitter, etc. -- but I'm sad to see Google sunsetting Reader.

Anyone else out there an RSS fan? Where do we go from here?

2. Kadelic

Kadelic Genius
    Gold

I just read the news on Twiiter and I am also very disappointed. While I don't use it for work, Google Reader and the Reeder app are part of my daily routine. From my understanding the service will continue until July. Hopefully somebody will step up and fill the void as I know of no alternatives.

3. up10ad

up10ad Genius
    Gold

Reeder was my favorite too. I recently changed most of my feeds to FlipBoard and combined them with some other things there.

4. patrickj

patrickj Genius
    Gold

I'm a huge RSS fan. Still think it's the best way to keep up with news and favorite sites. I'm very sad to see Google Reader go, but encouraged by a couple things I read this morning. Apparently Reeder will carry on just fine without Reader sync and there are a number of alternative services being worked on.

Hopefully we'll see some good )free or paid) services alive and kicking before the mid July shutdown date.

5. Kadelic

Kadelic Genius
    Gold

That's good to hear, I hope it's true. I wonder what other things I should stop taking for granted, just in case. ;)

6. psylichon

psylichon Genius

What's Google's reasoning for axing Reader?

7. patrickj

patrickj Genius
    Gold

That usage had 'dropped off' - without providing any specific numbers on that.

8. patrickj

patrickj Genius
    Gold

I'm giving Feedly another look, and also signed up for a NewsBlur account this morning. NewsBlur is taking forever to import Reader data. Guess they're getting slammed today as tons of folks look for new options.

9. psylichon

psylichon Genius

Geez, so what? Is serving RSS really that resource-intensive? Seems like an ideal place to stick ads innit?

10. Kadelic

Kadelic Genius
    Gold

"There are two simple reasons for this: usage of Google Reader has declined, and as a company we’re pouring all of our energy into fewer products. We
    think that kind of focus will make for a better user experience."

http://googlereader.blogspot.com/2013/03/powering-down-google-reader.html

Exactly!

11. patrickj

patrickj Genius
    Gold

Apparently it's been in some sort of 'maintenance mode' with very little support or expenditure on it for the last couple years - so yeah exactly as you say.

12. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

Unless a feed publishes ads to their feed, it's ad-free. Conspiracy theorists believe that's the reason.

13. psylichon

psylichon Genius

Why doesn't Google just stick in their own content-specific ads? Seems like that's kinda their thing, innit? Or am I missing something about how RSS is served? I don't use it.

14. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

I suppose they could have done something along those lines. Here's what it looks like now.

Screen Shot 2013-03-14 at 11.23.30 AM.png

15. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

They killed adsense for RSS feeds in October.

https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:yzAXP8E2bVwJ:http://support.google.com/adsense/bin/answer.py%3Fhl%3Den%26answer%3D2777193%2Bgoogle+stopped+adsense+for+rss+feeds&hl=en&client=safari&nota=1&biw=1024&bih=644&ct=clnk

And even if not to sell ad space, you'd think they'd be interested in knowing what millions of geeks read on the Internet every day.

Anyway, the hope a lot of people have is that they're retiring reader to put together something more like Currents to take over the job.

16. patrickj

patrickj Genius
    Gold

I don't think that's what any of the RSS fans I've seen are hoping for. Currents is just a pretty poor version of the magazine style news aggregator apps. Flipboard, Zite, Pulse and others are arguably done much better - and Flipboard is certainly way more popular.

But none of those are really like Reader and old school, simple RSS.

I think there will be some decent options by the time Reader gets shutdown - but Currents definitely won't be the one for me.

One other thought - I don't think Currents has much traction - wouldn't be at all surprised if Google decides to kill it off within a couple years.

17. Kadelic

Kadelic Genius
    Gold

18. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

I've been trying, unsuccessfuly, to ween myself off RSS feeds.

19. iP5

iP5 Evangelist
    Gold

I tried Feedly. Went back to Reader. Hoping Digg releases a good replacement.

Sent from my Nexus 4

20. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

I didn't like Feedly at all. I want simple, basic feeds presented no different than my inbox.