Google Search App in Barbados App Store....

Discussion in 'iOS Software' started by dmoskaluk, May 13, 2014.

1. dmoskaluk

dmoskaluk Contributor
    Bronze

I have recently set up up 2 iPads here in Barbados , on behalf of friends and neighbours. They are seniors, and as is usually the case here, tech tools ( or toys) have been bestowed on them by their offspring, who live generally offshore, wishing to provide the 'folks' with an easy and inexpensive way to communicate ( FaceTime &/or Skype) and possibly email and web, with the USA, Canada or the UK. Glad to report that I get far fewer 'SOS’ telephone calls re computer problems since most of my 'charges' have gone to iPad. ( try keeping tabs on 75 year olds struggling with 'hand me down' geriatric laptops -normally Windows Vista, or XP) with minimal computer literacy beyond trying to turn it on and run their Skype etc. ). To make a long story short, I have a fairly simple structure involved when I set up a new device, with respect to what I put in in order for the user to get comfortable with the whole concept. I use the Canadian App Store, on my own devices , as it is associated with my Canadian credit card, and has a much wider selection of apps available than its counterpart for the Caribbean. ( likewise Amazon, Netflix etc) The people I have set up for wish generally for me to elect 'none' when in the credit card selection part of the process) Contents are tailored to market, and I guess international agreement and regulation are always determining factors. I have tried to download and install the 'Google Search' app-free ( which I use extensively on my own devices) to no avail. It does not appear to be available at all ! Of course I coach a workaround in the use of the entry window / search bar on Safari, as well as using a homes-screen bookmark for Google.com ( taken from the Safari entry) but having had this stumbling block happen twice in a month has me baffled. Is access to Google as an 'App' something that is likely to be restricted to specific countries, even if it is available when accessed through a browser ( Chrome, Safari ?) I'm no kid either, but having used technology out of necessity for 30 + years, I appreciate its benefit, but also the difficulties of huge learning curves- and for that, Steve Jobs, I will always be eternally grateful .....
    When I do a local set up, and create an Apple ID for anyone here, I supply their local address, which of course involves 'Country' which is what seems to limit some of the selections in the App Store. What am I missing ....... ?

2. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Paragraphs? :D

3. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

YouTube seems to think I'm in another country. Or something. This worked fine in Jasmine. It worked ok for @Rafagon in Miami on YouTube.
    ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1400041614.941008.jpg

4. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I think he was asking why he can't install the Google Search app if the home location is set to Barbados. It's probably a restrictions problem.

5. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Yeah, I know. It was late and I was tired. I should have put this in the Chap My Hide thread.

6. dmoskaluk

dmoskaluk Contributor
    Bronze

I have run into that ( or something like that) several times, sometimes YouTube claimed 'unavailable', but Jasmine was OK, and sometimes unavailable in Jasmine, but fine in Youtube ... Jasmine, classy act which it is, though, always includes a note within the warning about availability, to view in Youtube. I guess like the 'Google Search App Availability', being dictated by the "Country" selection for Apple ID , other downloadables/streams use the IP address for the subscriber.