Google Street View WORKS on ios 6

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Not sure how much I care about Google Street view with the advent of iOS 6. For me, I guess it's still a wait and see. Even if Maps in iOS 6 are horrific, I currently rely mostly on Navigon, so the impact will be minimal for me. I am rooting for turn-by-turn to be excellent, as a fall-back option for me and I think it will be a killer feature for all users -- many of whom don't have Navigon.

danbrumit

Bronze
Jun 21, 2010
Elkton, MD
I use Tom Tom USA. But I used google maps to search for places nearby. This new map crashes everytime I type in a address. I also use the search to add a Doctors & others contact info to my address book, very fast and easy. Ohh and I buy from craigslist, and street view shows me the area before hand. Nice to know where your going.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I can count the number of times I've used Google Street View in my entire life on one hand. It's a neat trick, but just not something I generally need. Kinda like the new 3D maps.

Though I'm quite certain Google will release a separate app for their map service once it's no longer bundled stock, with street view included. And I'll probably download it because I like having access to second opinions when it comes to mapping.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
I can count the number of times I've used Google Street View in my entire life on one hand. It's a neat trick, but just not something I generally need. Kinda like the new 3D maps.

Though I'm quite certain Google will release a separate app for their map service once it's no longer bundled stock, with street view included. And I'll probably download it because I like having access to second opinions when it comes to mapping.
I agree with Dan, sometimes it's useful to see where you are going. Directions aside, having a visual of your destination is always a good thing. For Craigslist sales, I'm always a believer in the Starbucks meetup. Nothing ever goes wrong at a Starbucks.:D

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah

I hope you're right about the separate app. I frequently use Street View and find it to be very useful and valuable.

iP5

Evangelist
Gold
Sep 7, 2010
Toronto
I use street view when first visiting a place to get some landmarks.

And Chris, rooting? ;)

Sent from Tapatalk 2

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
Not sure how much I care about Google Street view with the advent of iOS 6. For me, I guess it's still a wait and see. Even if Maps in iOS 6 are horrific, I currently rely mostly on Navigon, so the impact will be minimal for me. I am rooting for turn-by-turn to be excellent, as a fall-back option for me and I think it will be a killer feature for all users -- many of whom don't have Navigon.
I use Navigon daily, it's great. But the thing that worries me about the new maps is that it'll mucnch through your data as the maps aren't stored on the device. So on a long journey or in areas where you've no signal you'll lose navigation or you'll have used a maybe 150mb+ of inclusive data.

danbrumit

Bronze
Jun 21, 2010
Elkton, MD
I do a lot with craigslist. What I miss the most is searching on google maps for the customers address. Then I click on the pin, and it adds all of their contact info, phone and fax if its a businesss to my contact book. (i add craigslist to their last name to make it easy to find and delete later). So dropping a pin is big for me. As for GPS. I bought Tom Tom, its updated 2x or more per year. Then I just tell it navigate to contact... this is what works for me. As for lost signal.. Tom Tom is 1.4 gigs on my phone. and if it looses signal..it knows how fast you are driving..and keeps showing the map..based on where you should be. It figures you will regain that signal in a mile or two..then it updates its self.

iP5

Evangelist
Gold
Sep 7, 2010
Toronto
I do a lot with craigslist. What I miss the most is searching on google maps for the customers address. Then I click on the pin, and it adds all of their contact info, phone and fax if its a businesss to my contact book. (i add craigslist to their last name to make it easy to find and delete later). So dropping a pin is big for me. As for GPS. I bought Tom Tom, its updated 2x or more per year. Then I just tell it navigate to contact... this is what works for me. As for lost signal.. Tom Tom is 1.4 gigs on my phone. and if it looses signal..it knows how fast you are driving..and keeps showing the map..based on where you should be. It figures you will regain that signal in a mile or two..then it updates its self.
You lose satellites while driving? I use navigation on a daily basis, on weekend getaways say 8 hours from home and deep in cottage country where mobile data flips in and out as expected. For the most part though I don't lose satellite connects. Maybe once every other month i see a flicker but I chalk that up to multi tasking on the phone vs actually satellite loss.

Sent from Tapatalk2

gun138

Sep 19, 2009
I used to use the street view everyday. I am a New York City Firefighter and we have an app that texts you anytime there is a fire near our respective areas. When I would receive a text it would have the address of the fire, I could do the street view to see the front and sides of the building. With that Info I could start planning where we would put ladders and apparatus when and if we get assigned to the fire. i updated to IOS6 and when I click on the address it opens the new maps app with no street view :( oh well I hope that they will add google maps to the app store so that I can use that feature again. BTW the new maps app in 3D is awesome! the only problem I am experiencing is when I click in the address bar the app crashes but its Beta so I will have to live with it.

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
I buy from craigslist, and street view shows me the area before hand. Nice to know where your going.
Horrific things can and do happen in beautiful areas! Better carry a gun with you for those Craigslist rendez-vous!

Sent from my alphanumeric pager.

JWiPhone

Genius
Gold
Sep 18, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I also use Google Street View. I would miss that feature the most, but nice to know there will still be the Google map app for iOS. I like having other alternatives no matter how great the new Apple map may be.

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
Street View on iOS was never that useful for me, so I don't mind its removal from built in Maps. However, when I took Google Maps on Android for a test drive, I was giggling like a little school girl when it automatically brought up Street View when I was approaching the destination. That was the coolest thing I'd ever seen a navigation app do.

Navigon now does that, so I'm once again giggling like a little school girl.

ITS ME DAVID

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 8, 2010
L.A C.A
Only navigation app I use is google map from the AppStore but mainly for the free turn by turn.