Google Video on iPhone

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
How To: Google Video on iPhone

Hi, I'm new here so please forgive me if this topic has become a dead horse, but I recently noticed you can query Google Videos directly from Safari's search bar. If you use a specific query string followed by clicking Google's video link, you can filter out non-google videos in the results page.

Use this string:

xxxx site:video.google.com

Replace "xxxx" with whatever you want to search for.

On the results page that follows, click the "video" link up top to make the second part of the query work, "site:video.google.com" this will filter out results that don't fall under that domain.

To play the videos, simply select "iPod/Psp" from the pulldown menu on the right, followed by clicking the Download link. Quicktime will take over from there :)

Here's a video since I'm not the best with instructions :p

http://youtube.com/watch?v=8W9A9mbzLJo

I suppose you could then bookmark the results page, and swap out the beginning of your query each time to speed things up.

Anyhow, I'm glad I found this board and I look forward to all that it has to offer.

BTW- Greetings TinMan! I used to post under 999 back in the PocketPC community. Carpediem and I did that april fool's day emulator gag, and I helped Dan East skin PocketQuake. I saw one of your posts here and it reminded me of the good ol' days.

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
Glad to have helped! :)

Was worried y'all already figured this out.

ps49556n

Silver
Jun 21, 2007
NYC
Before I talk about the shortcommings of this, I would like to thank the OP for a good find.

First, it is cumbersome.
Second, it still is not even close to the full YouTube library.
Third, when I tried it over EDGE (full signal), it would not give me the option to download, hence I was unable to view. If anybody has a better EDGE experience please tell me.

That is all for now...I really was hoping this would be a loophole to view flash youtube videos since google video is mostly youtube videos...despite this, it is still a good find that I was unaware of.

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
Before I talk about the shortcommings of this, I would like to thank the OP for a good find.

First, it is cumbersome.
It's definitely WBiC, "Why? Because I Can." But with a bookmark, things are a little more tidy.

Interestingly, the YouTube conduit that comes with the iPhone also doesn't have access to the full YouTube library, so I think we're just picking at straws here, my cow says MooT.

Have a look at Google's library, I have noticed that they have quite a nice selection of videos that have since been removed from YouTube, like Ricky Gervais' internal Microsoft Videos.

Third, when I tried it over EDGE (full signal), it would not give me the option to download, hence I was unable to view. If anybody has a better EDGE experience please tell me.
EDGE worked fine for me, but it's also pathetically slow. The download does actually work, the problem is it takes much longer for the actual link to show up after clicking "Download," which can very easily lead you to believe nothing is working.

I don't now why they call it EDGE, because the only EDGE you have over anything is not having internet at all... bleh.

That is all for now...I really was hoping this would be a loophole to view flash youtube videos since google video is mostly youtube videos...
I'll use your own point to address your closing statement ;)

Btw, Daily Motion has an iPhone video page up, it's much much easier to use: http://iPhone.dailymotion.com/us