Google Video Works on Your iPhone

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

420greg

Silver
Jun 26, 2007
Orlando, Florida
This has been posted about before, but it is pretty buried. So I thought I would repost since the price reduction and the UK release have added a lot of new people to the iPhone community.

Go to video.google.com on your iPhone.

Do a search for a video you want to see. Here is the tricky part. Since google bought youtube all the youtube results will show in the search. If you click on one of these links it will open the youtube app on your iPhone and the video will only play if it is one of the few youtube has converted for iPhone users. Most will not play, so we don't want to see youtube results.

To make sure you only get videos hosted at google in your search results search like this: videoname site:video.google.com

This will only return videos hosted at google video.

Bookmark this results page. When you re-visit this bookmark you will only have to edit the google search box where it says the videoname before site:video.google.com.

When you get your list of results click on one of them and you will see the dreaded blue box since the iPhone does not do flash.

If you look to the right of the bluebox you will see a pulldown menu for 'download video'. Choose the psp/ipod format and click download. Give it a few seconds and the video will start playing.

Good Luck!

ps49556n

Silver
Jun 21, 2007
NYC
This was posted back in early july....it really is not much better than the standard youtube app at this point because it still does not allow you to play flash encoded videos leaving you to the small h264 library plus a few extra google video results.

B

BugmenotAccount

Are all videos.google.com in h264 format or only a small percentage? I'd like to be able to see all videos.google.com on my iPhone.

B

BugmenotAccount

Has anybody tried this? Can you watch most or all of the Google Videos or only the H264 formatted ones?

Oct 25, 2007
stupid ? but i just did this...is it accually downloading to the phone or just streaming? my phones not cracked or anything like that just yet HEEHEHE but i don't wanna waste space with random google videos