Google's Android phone...

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

pn.md

Bronze
Jul 21, 2007

Google's Android SDK- the user interface looks like a P.O.S! It's not touchscreen at all. When Steve said he would protect their touchscreen patents he meant it.
I hate the Windows-esque menus!

I suspect Android will be cleaned and dressed up by developers. But if the GUI remains like this Apple has nothing to worry about except for the $10 million. And oh yeah, the open source part may be worrisome also. :mad:

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
WoW Google!

All I'm going to say is, Android is Hot, Hot, Hot. WoW, Google! M

BTW: Has anyone ever noticed, how Google doesn't charge you for every little offering they give you? Yet they still rake in, Crazy Profits. Just goes to show, you don't have to bend the customer over, to do businesss.

termleech

Zealot
Gold
Sep 7, 2007
McPherson, KS
I'll be interested to see how many phones come out with this platform and what they can do. I'm definitely interested in the fact it's open and they are allowing the user to do a lot with it. But my guess is Apple knew this was coming since Google sits on Apple's board and this along with the user's is what made Apple decide to open up he iPhone. I really wouldn't be surprised if in January when we get the SDK to find out some, if not all, of the andriod stuff is already there and Apple isn't just being secretive about it like normal.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
I must admit, the Android is nice, and Google did a nice job on it.

But in my eyes, Google is a search engine - a very powerful one- but still a search engine, not a technology company. Just my opinion.

seb481

Silver
Aug 3, 2007
San Diego
I must admit, the Android is nice, and Google did a nice job on it.

But in my eyes, Google is a search engine - a very powerful one- but still a search engine, not a technology company. Just my opinion.
Google is much more than a search engine. Do you know that every 2 weeks google buys out a new company?! They are trying (and succeeding) to diverify their activities. Think about it... gmail, maps, sms, advertising (print, radio, and online), softwares...
I am telling you, Google is the new Microsoft. I am speaking in term of supremacy. While I love google, they scare the hell out of me because one day it will become this big evil monopoly

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I hate to say it, but I think there will be only four major players in this field of mobile operating systems in the coming years: Google, Apple, Microsoft, and Palm. I think the first two will eventually swallow up the last two, but I think Google will eventually grow to be the biggest. And Apple will never cave.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Remember, I said it was my opinion.

I have a Gmail account, and I have nothing against Google. They are a bit scary though. I agree with psylichon's statement about Google, Apple, Microsoft, and Palm. I just started using Google as a search engine and that's what I'll always see it as.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I guess I'm a bit of a Google fanboy, but I don't see them ever being as monopolistic as Microsoft. I mean, look at Android. They're giving it away! Sure, they benefit, but they've always been about open-source collaboration, global networking, and social improvement. I watch their cable channel, Current, quite a lot and it's got some stellar "user-generated" programming. I like the vibe and the overt intentions of the company to better the world. And while I have no doubt that they've engaged in some unethical businesss practices somewhere along the way, I would say they are by far the most ethical company of their size out there.

Just my observations. Google rocks.

seb481

Silver
Aug 3, 2007
San Diego
I hate to say it, but I think there will be only four major players in this field of mobile operating systems in the coming years: Google, Apple, Microsoft, and Palm. I think the first two will eventually swallow up the last two, but I think Google will eventually grow to be the biggest. And Apple will never cave.
would almost agree if google decides to go ahead and design pc softwares, microsoft is screwed!

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
guys, this is anything but a bad thing. Apple needs competition to get their ass in gear with the iPhone.

all i can say is you can bet the andriod will have cut&paste.

whale_hunter

Bronze
Sep 11, 2007
I thought it looked like crap... till it got to the street level image from the maps section.

That looked cool as hell!

I totally agree that this kind of thing will only benefit everyone by making Apple start giving us more options so they can stay competitive.

pn.md

Bronze
Jul 21, 2007
I thought it looked like crap... till it got to the street level image from the maps section.

That looked cool as hell!

I totally agree that this kind of thing will only benefit everyone by making Apple start giving us more options so they can stay competitive.
Here's what Google street level gives you. Bye bye privacy.

Images of...

03. Guy getting out of strip club--pwned!

05. Girls sunbathing

Top 15 Images:
http://mashable.com/2007/05/31/top-15-google-street-view-sightings/

I don't really dig the way the interface is, not something I would categorize as eye candy - but it is only a matter of time before it gets tweaked up and works really well.

I think it will be nice to see what people do with the open source, I am always up for looking into new technology.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Open source kicks ass.

I recently upgraded my old Toshiba Gigabeat F10 mp3 player with a killer open-source operating system called Rockbox. It took away all the things that made the player annoying to use (including the file encryption) and made it endlessly customizable and actually fun to use again.

For those with old players, I recommend checking out the Rockbox site. They have firmwares for a lot of players out there.