Google's free remote desktop solution arrives on iOS

Discussion in 'iOS Software' started by Rafagon, Jan 13, 2015.

1. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Exactly as the title says. Google's Chrome Remote Desktop is now available on iOS, allow you to sneakily control your computer from afar. Wife alone at home and you're working late? Scare her socks off by blasting a really creepy Nine Inch Nails song when she least expects it… or get her in the mood for your arrival by blasting Closer and dimming your Philips Hue lighting sources. All sorts of shenanigans are possible with this free remote control solution from Google.

Chrome Remote Desktop [free app]

2. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Besides the fact that it's Google and it's free, I'll stick with Splashtop. I've had it for years.

3. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Yes, stick with that. My first session with Google's Chrome Remote Desktop was pretty horrid. I was unable to make my computer screen show up on my iPhone. The only thing I could do was move the mouse pointer around blindly, on a black window. That's all fine and good if I'm sitting right in front of the computer and can watch where the mouse pointer is going, but the point of this is that you should be able to operate your computer remotely, right?

Tapping on the bar composed of three dots gives me two options: "Send Ctrl-Alt-Del" and "Help & feedback". Why on earth why I want to send a Ctrl-Alt-Del to an OS X machine?

I also experienced the app crashing twice during my short 10- to 15-minute session.