GoPhone Pick Your Plan & 1.1.1.?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

eswank

Sep 2, 2007
I'm planning to get my iPhone this weekend but I just wanted to make sure of one thing. I'm still a Pick Your Plan customer and I have no interest in switching to a contract. My question is... with the latest update 1.1.1., is it still possible to put in the SSN with all 9's and still get the option for going PrePaid with their GoPhone service? Thanks!

darrston

Jun 27, 2007
Fyi

So I too am a gophone customer , broke (and I mean broke my phone) bought a new phone and thought the transfer of number would be simple . 2 days (really 2 days) later with level 2 Apple and level 2 att support conference call ) the end result is , they couldn't transfer my original gophone number. Now I have a new Gophone number. We (the Apple guy , and the att guy) went through 4 sim cards before they finally realized that if you lose , or break , your phone , your gophone number is essentially lost for the iPhone. I could plug my sim into a normal phone and it would work. Just could never get the number back onto a card that would work with a new iPhone.

Very frustrating. At least my experience was

hope that helps.

raoser

Bronze
Jul 7, 2007
So I too am a gophone customer , broke (and I mean broke my phone) bought a new phone and thought the transfer of number would be simple . 2 days (really 2 days) later with level 2 Apple and level 2 att support conference call ) the end result is , they couldn't transfer my original gophone number. Now I have a new Gophone number. We (the Apple guy , and the att guy) went through 4 sim cards before they finally realized that if you lose , or break , your phone , your gophone number is essentially lost for the iPhone. I could plug my sim into a normal phone and it would work. Just could never get the number back onto a card that would work with a new iPhone.

Very frustrating. At least my experience was

hope that helps.
==============================================
A sort of related issue...

Just wondering about switching your number...does your iPhone display list your new number or does it still keep the old one? Also, did you have to pay for a new sim card each time?

I'm on a regular plan but thinking of porting my old phone number over and wondering if the phone and iTunes display screens will recognize the switch.

darrston

Jun 27, 2007
==============================================
A sort of related issue...

Just wondering about switching your number...does your iPhone display list your new number or does it still keep the old one? Also, did you have to pay for a new sim card each time?

I'm on a regular plan but thinking of porting my old phone number over and wondering if the phone and iTunes display screens will recognize the switch.
Nope it displays my new number , cause it is a new sim. As for the sim cards, I just kept going back to the same att store and telling them I need a new one. No charge just a pain in the butt to go down there 4 times . My old number is completely gone . kinda liked that number but oh well not much I could have done. Now I just have to pray i don't destroy this phone , if not i would have to get another new number. Perils of the gophone plan mixed with the iPhone I guess. Hopefully att/Apple can figure out how to remedy this for future users

raoser

Bronze
Jul 7, 2007
Nope it displays my new number , cause it is a new sim. As for the sim cards, I just kept going back to the same att store and telling them I need a new one. No charge just a pain in the butt to go down there 4 times . My old number is completely gone . kinda liked that number but oh well not much I could have done. Now I just have to pray i don't destroy this phone , if not i would have to get another new number. Perils of the gophone plan mixed with the iPhone I guess. Hopefully att/Apple can figure out how to remedy this for future users
=======================================

Thanks for the info. Sounds like you have been through a lot. I still haven't decided if I want to go through the hassle. Was it a pain dealing with ATT reps?

I thought about doing the gophone initially also but people said they kept getting messages after every transaction displaying how much it cost, is that still happening?

scandalex

Silver
Sep 16, 2007
I'm planning to get my iPhone this weekend but I just wanted to make sure of one thing. I'm still a Pick Your Plan customer and I have no interest in switching to a contract. My question is... with the latest update 1.1.1., is it still possible to put in the SSN with all 9's and still get the option for going PrePaid with their GoPhone service? Thanks!
No. I tried it today and got the screen that says your account requires additional time. I waited a while, and during that wait, you'll get an email containing this phone # with and 12-digit activation ID. You'll need that 12 digit number when you call about activation not happening.

It took me all of 5 minutes, and that includes the time on hold, to find out that all 9's prevented me from getting activated. One AT&T's end, they have to delete the account you were just trying to set up.

Once they delete it, within minute to an hour- you'll receive another email letting you know it's been canceled. Plug your iPhone back in and start all over again- this time using a valid SS#.

The rep I got on the phone saw the 9's and asked me if I was trying to do "Pick Your Plan." I said yes and she told me to do what I posted here.

Starting from the beginning again, the whole process took less than 15 minutes.

big_erb

Oct 9, 2007
I got a Gophone option when signing up through iTunes.. it was fairly simple.. my phone came from Apple with 1.1.1.. it works pretty slick actually.. after I get done with a call i gives me my remaining amount.. and how much the call cost me.

xply

Oct 15, 2007
I am currently with T-Mobile and was wondering if it was possible to transfer my T-Mobile number to a GoPhone Sim card? I don't want to go through the hassel of texting all my friends about my new number. Also is it possible to also add a text message bundle with a goPhone? Thank you