Got a 3G free - What to do with it?

Ironbooka

Dec 28, 2008
My daughter gave me the 3G she bought in the US in August. She lives in the Czech Republic, and says it's useless there. I have T-Mobile and don't want to switch. I've searched all over the 'net looking for a solution, and it appears one may be coming soon (New Year's Eve - Yellowsn0w)? BUT - I've read this solution isn't for all 3G's. How can I determine if this solution will work for me? How can I determine which version iPhone I have? When I turn the phone on, I get the "USB/iTunes missing SIM" graphic and message. When I put my T-Mobile SIM in, it doesn't work, of course. I don't seem to be able to access anything on the phone except the emergency call option. I'm a *total* noob when it comes to iPhones, so please bear with me. Thanks for any advice/assistance.

Happy New Year!

J

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
It will depend on what firmware the iPhone is running. If it's running 2.2, you're out of luck. If it's 2.1 or below, you'll be able to unlock it. Plugging it into iTunes should display the firmware version.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
You can also confirm your firmware version by going to the Settings app, and looking under General > About:

About.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Apparently it is, then! I was under the impression that the 2.2 update modified the baseband in a way which it could not be unlocked, but apparently that was resolved.

Xtgirl

Bronze
Jul 21, 2007
I watched the video.

I am still thinking that if you updated to 2.2 without keeping your baseband from upgrading that it will not work. I didn't see anything on the video that mentioned that baseband at all, but they have been warning us not to update the baseband for a while now....

If you are running 2.2 and the baseband is .....I think....2.28 then it prly won't work...but you can buy a sim card that at least allows a hardware unlock till they crack the new baseband.

Maybe I missed something on the video that negates what I am saying......

jdk2

Bronze
Dec 2, 2008
Stratford, NJ
I watched the video.

I am still thinking that if you updated to 2.2 without keeping your baseband from upgrading that it will not work. I didn't see anything on the video that mentioned that baseband at all, but they have been warning us not to update the baseband for a while now....

If you are running 2.2 and the baseband is .....I think....2.28 then it prly won't work...but you can buy a sim card that at least allows a hardware unlock till they crack the new baseband.

Maybe I missed something on the video that negates what I am saying......
Copied directly from the blog.iphone-dev.org site:

Don't eat yellowsn0w!
Hello all,

We wish you a very happy, healthy, and hopeful 2009!

We are about to release the yellowsn0w unlock application, and we have some information that you may fine useful:

The unlock application about to be released works exclusively with baseband 02.28.00. This baseband is provided by the latest firmware update (2.2) from Apple. You’ll need to upgrade to this release using iTunes and then use QuickPwn to activate etc. There are plenty of tutorials about this on iclarified, bigboss, and other established tutorial sites.
The application is a small daemon that is launched on boot. It injects the payload at boot and also whenever there is a baseband reset. You won’t notice anything about it other than that your third-party sim now works. It’s a small program and unobtrusive. There is no GUI (this is by design).
You can add the application using the sources outlined below (coming soon). There are Cydia and Installer sources available, so use whichever you are comfortable using.
There is a known issue with SIM cards that have STK (SIM Toolkit) application menus. These menus are usually items such as “top up” “get credit” etc. These menu items confuse the application sometimes. Removing and reinserting the SIM once after reboot (give it about 10 secs after you see the slide to unlock widget) fixes this issue. We’re working on a better fix.
The application is version 0.9, this is considered beta software, you use it at your own risk. You know the score.
The application is released on a non-commerical basis, do not accept pirates and scummy rip offs of this software. We license this software for single use and in a non-commerical environment (meaning you can’t charge for it). The techniques and methods used are not to be used by third party companies. We are watching you Jody, we won’t be so forgiving this time.
Direct linking to the repository URLs is prohibited, please only link to this post. We will be checking referers.
Happy 2009 and enjoy!

Ironbooka

Dec 28, 2008
First of all, Happy New Year to everyone. I just got back from a long weekend with family in S. Florida. Secondly, thanks to everyone who replied.
Coincidentally, as you all know, the iPhone dev team has recently released yellowsn0w, which, miraculously, I got to work on my phone after jailbreaking it (thanks to advice and other links on this forum – thanks again). After several attempts, I got it to work, and am happily using my new iPhone on T-Mobile – and have for the past four days. Email, web surfing (when linked to a Wifi setup), incoming and outgoing calls, and all apps appear to be working fine.
Thanks again for all your replies, and best of luck in this new year.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
i've just added it through cydia now. i'm just hunting round the house for another sim card!

it should work.. will update shortly