Got a 3G yesterday after 7 hours in line!... happy, but having iTunes issues...

iAddict

Jun 10, 2008
Hey guys, I was able to get a black 16g 3G yesterday after waiting in line for 7 hours :eek:. I first went to an AT&T store where after waiting for an hour and taking in each person one at a time, they informed us all that they were out of phones so I lost out by around 5 people in front of us. In any case, I went to the mall afterwards to the Apple store where I waited in line for 7 long hours, but was lucky enough to get the phone that I wanted.

I'm having a few issues now though. I upgraded to iTunes 7.7, but when I try to synch the phone it asks me to register it, but the only option to press is to click "register later" so I can't synch the phone to get all of my music/playlists from my v1 iPhone onto it. Also, when I try to download an app (I tried to dl AIM) it says that it has purchased it, but not downloaded it, and to check the iTunes store for downloads. When I click "check downloads" under the iTunes store it tells me that "the iTunes store is currently unavailable." Are these issues because of the launch or is it a problem on my end? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

bls8195

Bronze
Apr 23, 2008
Texas City, TX
I am having the same problems, kinda crappy on AT&T and Apple's part they should have known this whole mess was going to happen.

NateEssex

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
NJ
Hey, I couldn't activate in store either. Did it when I got home, and after a nap.

It was a mob scene where I was...the AT&T line turned into an angry mob when they ran out and Apple kept serving.

iAddict

Jun 10, 2008
I am having the same problems, kinda crappy on AT&T and Apple's part they should have known this whole mess was going to happen.
Thanks for the reply. It's reassuring to k ow that I'm not the only one experiencing some issues with iTunes and synching the phone.

iAddict

Jun 10, 2008
Hey, I couldn't activate in store either. Did it when I got home, and after a nap.

It was a mob scene where I was...the AT&T line turned into an angry mob when they ran out and Apple kept serving.
I was actually able to activate the phone in the store, but I just can't register the phone with iTunes to synch it. I'm worried that if I try to uninstall iTunes and reinstall it on my PC that it will delete all of my playlists.

llrickman

Contributor
Silver
Jan 12, 2008
Albuquerque , NM
I was actually able to activate the phone in the store, but I just can't register the phone with iTunes to synch it. I'm worried that if I try to uninstall iTunes and reinstall it on my PC that it will delete all of my playlists.
Your are correct but you can back up your files if you would like but i don't think their is a poblem with your iTunes its with the servers just keep trying and u will get there eventually

iAddict

Jun 10, 2008
Your are correct but you can back up your files if you would like but i don't think their is a poblem with your iTunes its with the servers just keep trying and u will get there eventually
Thank you for the advice. I will keep trying. The only thing that I don't understand is that when I connect the phone there is no option to register it. Register later is the only option to click on, which has me scratching my head.

bls8195

Bronze
Apr 23, 2008
Texas City, TX
Can you guys get past the part where you enter your credit card info for the iTunes store during the registration process?

Thats where I am stuck and it won't go any further.

jslappa

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
HAHAHA, i think I can fix your problem. When I updated to 7.7 iTunes didn't show the register button for me either. I know it's all the way on the right hand side of the page, directly across from the "register later" button.

If you look at iTunes, you have two windows. On the left is your iPhone, iTunes store, music library, all your playlists and bla bla bla. THAT window is stretche too far out, which as caused you to lose the register icon. SImply place your cursor on the line that separates the two panes and drag to make the left pane smaller. You will see the register button on the right pane now.

And you should be able to clike "later" and you will have access to the sync button without registering. Registering is not a prerequisite for syncing.

bls8195

Bronze
Apr 23, 2008
Texas City, TX
Ok finally.....got iTunes working, the phone si all registered, called AT&T just to make sure and I am good to go, old iPhone is off the account being shipped out today as it was sold on ebay, for $360.00

sonicwind

Bronze
May 12, 2008
I just have to say AT&T must really think people are desperate for their service. It's extremely inconsiderate to allow people to wait in line when they could easily have counted and know how much stock they have. Later in the day I called 2 different AT&T stores several times only to be receive a recorded message about iPhone activation problems and then it hangs up automatically. Already an AT&T customer with a different phone? Sorry, no service for you since iPhone is on sale today. I stopped by one of the stores. Empty, except for 5 sales people standing around doing nothing. Seems like they could answer the phone. AT&T is raping you and you are volunteering for it. I used to be on AT&T and Apple's side regarding many of the complaints. If you don't like it, don't buy it. But when they basically blow off existing customers like this, I've lost all respect for them. Have respect for yourself, don't put up with it. Apple makes more of an effort to accommodate. I got in line this morning and after 15 minutes a lady came out and said we have plenty of phones but we are out of the 16GB Black. I left.

iAddict

Jun 10, 2008
HAHAHA, i think I can fix your problem. When I updated to 7.7 iTunes didn't show the register button for me either. I know it's all the way on the right hand side of the page, directly across from the "register later" button.

If you look at iTunes, you have two windows. On the left is your iPhone, iTunes store, music library, all your playlists and bla bla bla. THAT window is stretche too far out, which as caused you to lose the register icon. SImply place your cursor on the line that separates the two panes and drag to make the left pane smaller. You will see the register button on the right pane now.

And you should be able to clike "later" and you will have access to the sync button without registering. Registering is not a prerequisite for syncing.
Oh man, I wish I would have read this before pulling my hair out for another hour, lol. I feel like an idiot since I must have tried stretching out that window 75 times without any success. I finally got the idea to change my screen resolution so that I could actually fit all of the iTunes window onto my 12" laptop screen. Props to you for figuring out the problem from my incoherent rambling :), and thanks for taking the time to post. In the end, it ended up being a brain fart on my end causing most of the problems. I'll just blame it on standing in line for so long. BTW, iTunes finally started to work after I clicked on "authorize computer" under the store menu. Thanks again.

iAddict

Jun 10, 2008
Ok finally.....got iTunes working, the phone si all registered, called AT&T just to make sure and I am good to go, old iPhone is off the account being shipped out today as it was sold on ebay, for $360.00
I'm glad to hear that you got it all working. I sold mine a month ago for 300... it looks like I should have waited. :)

iAddict

Jun 10, 2008
I just have to say AT&T must really think people are desperate for their service. It's extremely inconsiderate to allow people to wait in line when they could easily have counted and know how much stock they have. Later in the day I called 2 different AT&T stores several times only to be receive a recorded message about iPhone activation problems and then it hangs up automatically. Already an AT&T customer with a different phone? Sorry, no service for you since iPhone is on sale today. I stopped by one of the stores. Empty, except for 5 sales people standing around doing nothing. Seems like they could answer the phone. AT&T is raping you and you are volunteering for it. I used to be on AT&T and Apple's side regarding many of the complaints. If you don't like it, don't buy it. But when they basically blow off existing customers like this, I've lost all respect for them. Have respect for yourself, don't put up with it. Apple makes more of an effort to accommodate. I got in line this morning and after 15 minutes a lady came out and said we have plenty of phones but we are out of the 16GB Black. I left.
I agree with you about AT&T, its a complete joke. The fact that some tard who makes $7 an hour gets on a power trip and locks the front door only to let one person in the store at a time while there are 6 employees inside is completely retarded IMO. Also, you have to love how they aren't allowed to tell you how many phones they have in stock as if no one in the store knows how to count to thirty (or whatever # it might be), and then see how long the line is. Instead they let you waste your time and then get off on telling everyone that they don't have any phones left. Even though I had to wait in line almost all day, they are extremely nice at the Apple store, and they tried to make waiting in line as comfortable as possible by passing out water and showing us the phones while we waited in line. Unfortunately I can't say the same for the AT&T store that I dealt with.

NateEssex

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
NJ
Wow....a lot of cash!

kevlar08

Zealot
Gold
Jul 3, 2008
Colorado
Hey guys, I was able to get a black 16g 3G yesterday after waiting in line for 7 hours :eek:. I first went to an AT&T store where after waiting for an hour and taking in each person one at a time, they informed us all that they were out of phones so I lost out by around 5 people in front of us. In any case, I went to the mall afterwards to the Apple store where I waited in line for 7 long hours, but was lucky enough to get the phone that I wanted.

I'm having a few issues now though. I upgraded to iTunes 7.7, but when I try to synch the phone it asks me to register it, but the only option to press is to click "register later" so I can't synch the phone to get all of my music/playlists from my v1 iPhone onto it. Also, when I try to download an app (I tried to dl AIM) it says that it has purchased it, but not downloaded it, and to check the iTunes store for downloads. When I click "check downloads" under the iTunes store it tells me that "the iTunes store is currently unavailable." Are these issues because of the launch or is it a problem on my end? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
wow thats bizzar, so you activated it in the store right?

iAddict

Jun 10, 2008
wow thats bizzar, so you activated it in the store right?
Yes, I got the phone activated in the Apple store without any problems. Earlier in the day they kept telling us that they were having server issues though, and what should have taken them 3 seconds to activate a phone ended up taking over an hour and helped contribute to the stationary lines outside the store. Later in the day things were running much more smoothly though.

BTW, I think that the speed on 3G is very good IMO. I was in raleigh all day yesterday and I was pretty impressed. When I came back to where I'm currently living in Wilmington and had to go back to using edge I wanted to kill myself. What a tease! :)