got a Mac? got a 360? Want XBox Live? Look here.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
This is intended for people that want to share a Mac's wireless internet connection with an Xbox360 through ethernet. the obvious benefit here is that you won't have to buy the $100 wireless adapter.

What you'll need to start:
-An Xbox 360
-A Mac with a wireless internet connection
-An ethernet cable
-Your wireless router's ip address.

1) connect your mac to your wireless internet connection.

2) open terminal (don't worry), and type in "ifconfig en0" without the quotes, and the last character is a zero. you're looking for your computer's ip address here. it should be the series of numbers following "inet". For example mine is "192.168.2.1".

3) connect your Mac to your 360 via ethernet.

4) go to system preferences-->sharing and turn "internet sharing" on (from Airport through ethernet).

5) turn on your 360, and go to settings --> Network Settings --> edit settings (redundant much?)

6) under "basic settings", then "ip settings" select "manual". set your ip address to the same as your Mac's ip address, only increment the last digit by one. For example, i set mine to "192.168.2.2". Then set your subnet mask to "255.255.255.0", and your Gateway to your Mac's IP address (again, mine was 192.168.2.1"). then click "done".

7) back in "basic settings", select "DNS settings". Choose manual again. For both the primary DNS server and secondary DNS server, enter your router's IP address. Click "done".

8) leave advanced settings alone.

that should do it!

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
You have to buy a wireless adapter for XBOX 360? Glad I've got a PS3!

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
well, no you don't. that's the whole point.

anyway, i like the games for 360 better, which is really what it's all about... although, i might consider getting a PS3 when gran turismo 5 comes out.

Thomassays

Apr 5, 2010
I use my iPhone's mywi app as a wireless modem for xbox 360, but I encounter a strict NAT Type. Fido, on multiple occasions have told me that they are not blocking anything. After several weeks of research on net, my closest lead suggests that 3G broadband networks assign private IP rather than public IP address. Various forums suggest that the private IP is behind at NAT. I have not found a method to adjust router settings on my iPhone 3gs 3.1.2. Is any of this information accurate, and if so, how do I get a public IP address.

Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
Thank you so much, acos. That's going to help since sometimes I like to move my Xbox 360 outside but the ethernet cable is usually already used by our satellite receiver.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
Tarek, these posts are 2 years old, apart from the one before yours.. Lol.

Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
Well, I didn't know you could do that. So as long as it works, he still deserves the thanks :).

Thomassays

Apr 5, 2010
Well, I didn't know you could do that. So as long as it works, he still deserves the thanks :).
lol, 2 year posts, CAN still be useful, as TarekElsakka proved. I don't know how people find the info they do on these forums, but they do, regardless of the time of original post. I also received anwsers to my question which I placed on a thread more than 2 years old. I dunnoo, but do appreciate the help.