Got a new iPhone last night, but...

Kristen

Dec 25, 2007
Got a wonderful new iPhone last night, tried to set up it via iTunes and 12 hours later and still waiting to activate. iTunes said it would email me and said my activation required additional time to complete. Anyone else having this problem? What does it mean?

JoeT

Silver
Dec 18, 2007
Tampa, FL
Got a wonderful new iPhone last night, tried to set up it via iTunes and 12 hours later and still waiting to activate. iTunes said it would email me and said my activation required additional time to complete. Anyone else having this problem? What does it mean?
Probably a lot of new iPhones being activated today. When I activated mine a week ago it took 10 minutes.

gcvt

Zealot
Gold
Jun 21, 2007
San Francisco
Yup, probably just overloaded servers - lots of new phones being activated today.

Congrats on your new iPhone. Once the activation is finished, you'll be lovin' it :D

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Yep, the servers are quite busy activating phone at the moment, so just be patient.

Enjoy that phone!

- John

gadget22

Bronze
Jun 18, 2007
Cleveland,OH
Just give it a little, there are probably thousands trying to activate as well. Enjoy your phone:laugh2:

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
if it still hasn't been activated by tomorrow, I'd search these forums and google and get a number for AT&T. I had to call some special number to get mine set up on iWeekend. Took 40+ hours. But you'll probably be fine by the am.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
Sometimes it takes longer if you're porting a number from another provider. It can also take longer if you had a text or data plan already on your AT&T account. When you add the iPhone data plan it causes a conflict. For some reason, the system doesn't just delete the old data plan. Instead, it just shuts down until it gets forced through by one of the techs. Hopefully, yours won't take too long.

Morval

Bronze
Oct 23, 2007
Buffalo,NY
when i got my iPhone in september well after release when there wasent a lot of activation trafic and tried setting it up it was taking forever. So after about 2 hours of getting timed out or busy messages i took out the ethernet cable from my wireless modem and plugged right into the computer and it worked instantly. so if u r using wireless try going hardline and see what happens

termleech

Zealot
Gold
Sep 7, 2007
McPherson, KS
Are you porting your number or are you an existing AT&T customer?

Kristen

Dec 25, 2007
Update: Got a series of emails from iTunes and AT&T - sadly, they want me to set up a pay as you go account - that, or go into the store, which I think I'll do at lunch today. I'm not all that keen on pay as you go. Seems like I spend more money that way.

Thanks for all the tips! Seriously can't wait to use my new baby.

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
Update: Got a series of emails from iTunes and AT&T - sadly, they want me to set up a pay as you go account - that, or go into the store, which I think I'll do at lunch today. I'm not all that keen on pay as you go. Seems like I spend more money that way.

Thanks for all the tips! Seriously can't wait to use my new baby.
If you can afford it do not do the pay as you go, have read many complaints about it.

doron

Zealot
Gold
Apr 17, 2007
tampa, FL
pay as you go? ...i thought you had to get the full fledge 2yr w/data plan in order to activate phone...

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
pay as you go? ...i thought you had to get the full fledge 2yr w/data plan in order to activate phone...
nah, this was one of the early workarounds for the iPhone - enter all 9's for your social, you'd fail the credit check, and then you could do pay as you go. I think several members here are pay as you go...

bllzll

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007
mind took forever to activate also when i first got it on the day of the release...

i think i just turned off my phone and turned it back on and walaaaa.... phone was activated

doron

Zealot
Gold
Apr 17, 2007
tampa, FL
nah, this was one of the early workarounds for the iPhone - enter all 9's for your social, you'd fail the credit check, and then you could do pay as you go. I think several members here are pay as you go...

oh dag i didn't know that...so can a person still do it this way?

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
oh dag i didn't know that...so can a person still do it this way?
You know, I'm not sure. With all of the workaround and hacks that have come about, I think people have been doing it via hack instead of all 9's in the ssn field...

Kristen

Dec 25, 2007
2nmd Update: Went into the store today and they set me up - Had to pay $200 cash deposit - which will be returned after 1 year of faithful payments. As for the cash deposit, I thought that was odd as they wouldn't take debit Mastercard. Anyway, it's all set up, just need to activate.

BTW, does anyone know if I can use iPhone through more than one iTunes - i.e. the one at work and at home? I want to get this baby started and was wondering if the two iTunes would cause conflicts?

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
2nmd Update: Went into the store today and they set me up - Had to pay $200 cash deposit - which will be returned after 1 year of faithful payments. As for the cash deposit, I thought that was odd as they wouldn't take debit Mastercard. Anyway, it's all set up, just need to activate.

BTW, does anyone know if I can use iPhone through more than one iTunes - i.e. the one at work and at home? I want to get this baby started and was wondering if the two iTunes would cause conflicts?
Someone here had their iPhone syncing on two different computers. It seems they had it set to sync music, pics, and video at home and Outlook at work. I seem to remember that he just unchecked the Outlook box in iTunes at home and unchecked the music, pics, and video boxes on iTunes at work.

I hope that helps.

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
Someone here had their iPhone syncing on two different computers. It seems they had it set to sync music, pics, and video at home and Outlook at work. I seem to remember that he just unchecked the Outlook box in iTunes at home and unchecked the music, pics, and video boxes on iTunes at work.

I hope that helps.

I dunno, If you take it to another cpu it tells me I am synced with another cpu, and syncing could change things both on the iPhone and each cpu.

Some else please confirm like Tinman or PacmanPro or?

Dec 27, 2007
well I got mine today and it only took a few minutes to set mine up.