Got a new phone. Keep it virgin and switch to AT&T or unlock again?

What should I do?

  • Keep the phone stock and switch to AT&T!

    Votes: 14 93.3%
  • Stick with 1.0.2 and unlock it.

    Votes: 1 6.7%

  • Total voters


New Member
Sep 14, 2007
Long Island, NY
So after the whole 1.1.1 debacle, I ended up getting a new phone today. Apple actually replaced my other one, after a few attempts. Of course I come home only to see that it's now possible to downgrade, my luck.

Anyway, I'm thinking about keeping this phone legit and switching from T-Mobile to AT&T. Not having 3rd part apps would suck, but at least I know my phone will always work.

My other option is to keep 1.0.2 and unlock it again. This time I'd play it safe and NOT be the guinea pig when a new firmware update comes out, lol.

Anyway, what do you guys think I should do? I've had T-Mobile for a few years now, and I'm quite happy with it. The ONLY place it isn't too great is in my room, of course, but it's not a big deal.

I'm pretty sure I renewed my contract, so I might have to pay a cancellation fee, unless AT&T can get that waived or the T-Mobile rep. is nice. I've been with them for over three years now.


New Member
Sep 27, 2007
from what I'm reading on this forum(which is suspect to begin with now), you can freely mod without fear, just don't unlock the phone...
Thats right because I tried to exchange my jailbreaked phone yesterday and they wouldn't they said I had third party apps and that it voided my warranty even though my phone was stuck in restore mode.


New Member
Aug 11, 2007
Taken from my experience, don't unlock, don't mod. But, this is just my opinion and based on what happened when I used Installer. To me, having a stock phone that works 100% is better than a hacked phone that freezes or something 60% of the time.

Just my 2¢.


New Member
Jul 21, 2007
Um, what's the cancellation fee for Tmob?

Keeping Tmob for a year lets me afford a new iPhone in a year's time. It also gives me a shiny new phone I can sell on eBay in another month or so.

Ultimately, the decision you're trying to make is about money... the iPhone costs money, the cell plan costs money.

cancellation fee + present worth of extra amortized cost for having ATT + activation fee is - money you could have made with an extra phone from Tmob > than cost of iPhone
... then it's a bad idea :)

EDIT: You also need to factor in the opportunity cost of not being bonafide Apple + AT&T. You would have to dodge updates and are in danger of cancelled warranty. Consider that too!