Got a STORM, not impressed

micirv7899

Bronze
Sep 19, 2007
Newcastle, UK
So i jumped ship and plumped for the Storm.......

Had it since last friday an im taking it back tomorrow.

So heres my opinion for what its worth,

The screen on the storm and picture quality in video in my opinion is better than the iPhone, however the media player is not as sleek and can be annoying,

didn't feel there was much difference between the cameras, just flash on the storm, video capture was a nice touch though,

The keyboard was nice to use but i felt the iPhone was abetter overall experience, also you cant see what youve pressed as it highlights but it is covered by your finger.

the click screen is a nice touch, but once again got fed up in the end, not as responsive as the iPhone and sometimes didn't work at all,

The apps were s**t, the volume of music on earphones was way too quiet for me, i like my music loud, however the speaker was better than the iPhone. it was clearer, crisper and louder.

So what was the dealbreakers? Why is it going back?

1. Battery life is shocking, i mean really shocking, check out the vodaphone forums, everyones complaining, not even lasting me half a day with moerate use.

2. Browser is slow, web pages don't load up in the correct format, no wifi, weak 3g signal compared to iPhone.

3. 2mm gap around screen, was going crazy thinking of all the crap going into the phone.

4. Slow rotation, Slow menu pop up, Just Slow slow slow!

Anyway, in my very humble opinion rim really messed up, this was an excellent chance to offer up an iPhone beater, this phone is nice to look at, the screen is amazing, but in a rush to get it out for xmas, they forgot to test it beforing giving it to customers.

So back to my 16gb 3g baby, sorry i ever doubted you in the first place.

BigCiX

Zealot
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Bakersfield, CA
thanks for the review micirv. crackberry said there wil be a lot of bugs because it's new.

x986

Nov 19, 2008
Good review - Thanks.

micirv7899

Bronze
Sep 19, 2007
Newcastle, UK
Yeah its not that its not a nice phone, it is. When they iron out all the problems it might and i stress might be an iPhone competitor, as it stands now, for me no way!

miggs1310

Bronze
Jul 29, 2008
I was never impressed by the Storm, or its commercials. I've had numerous "smartphones" from WM and blackberry, all of which had copy & paste, mms, video, etc. and I don't miss those features at all. The iPhone has it right IMO, ease of use, no headaches. Those "other" phones are a pain in the rear. If you really want all those features, then jailbreak. Trust me, it's no different then having to hack into a WM phones registry to add/change features so the phone is actually useable. Yep, I said it, those phones aren't perfect out of the box either, actually, I spent more time "hacking" into my other phones to try and make them useful than I ever did actually using them. Oh, and my iPhone is NOT jailbroken, works just fine the way it is...what a relief.

JFN

Bronze
Jul 12, 2008
Nor Cal
So i jumped ship and plumped for the Storm.......

Had it since last friday an im taking it back tomorrow.

So heres my opinion for what its worth,

The screen on the storm and picture quality in video in my opinion is better than the iPhone, however the media player is not as sleek and can be annoying,

didn't feel there was much difference between the cameras, just flash on the storm, video capture was a nice touch though,

The keyboard was nice to use but i felt the iPhone was abetter overall experience, also you cant see what youve pressed as it highlights but it is covered by your finger.

the click screen is a nice touch, but once again got fed up in the end, not as responsive as the iPhone and sometimes didn't work at all,

The apps were s**t, the volume of music on earphones was way too quiet for me, i like my music loud, however the speaker was better than the iPhone. it was clearer, crisper and louder.

So what was the dealbreakers? Why is it going back?

1. Battery life is shocking, i mean really shocking, check out the vodaphone forums, everyones complaining, not even lasting me half a day with moerate use.

2. Browser is slow, web pages don't load up in the correct format, no wifi, weak 3g signal compared to iPhone.

3. 2mm gap around screen, was going crazy thinking of all the crap going into the phone.

4. Slow rotation, Slow menu pop up, Just Slow slow slow!

Anyway, in my very humble opinion rim really messed up, this was an excellent chance to offer up an iPhone beater, this phone is nice to look at, the screen is amazing, but in a rush to get it out for xmas, they forgot to test it beforing giving it to customers.

So back to my 16gb 3g baby, sorry i ever doubted you in the first place.
Thanks for the review, just remember you don't know unless you try, I had my doubts coming from a Q to the iPhone, I almost took it back and glad I didn't, I haven't had many problems with my I phone but that is for another thread.

JFN

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
thanks for the review micirv. crackberry said there wil be a lot of bugs because it's new.
Well, it's understandable that there will be bugs, but come on. For those that bought your iPhone back when the firmware was 1.0.0 or 1.0.1, do you remember that many issues with the iPhone? I don't either. It was love at first touch.
I just don't think anyone is going to come out with a touch based phone that is that comparable to the iPhone for at least another year. (and of course Apple will continue to move forward.

The only beef I have with Apple is ignoring some of the most basic requests from it's users for standard feature.

Twinnie

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007
Yeah, I wouldn't have bothered with the first release myself, didn't even do that with the iPhone. But I wouldn't ever go to another phone expecting the interface to be as good as the iPhone, this is just what Apple do best and they pour far more resources and talent into it than any other manufacturer ever would, best bet is to wait for these collaborative efforts like Android and the new Symbian Foundation stuff to get their feet on the ground.

As somebody who's studied ergonomics both as a computer student and as a psychology student I can tell that most of these interfaces are built by computer engineers. In computing it's all about giving the user what they want in as few clicks as possible but in psychology it's all about the learning process and predictability, making sure the user gets what they expect and they understand what is going on. As a Microsoft user I think they seem to be getting the idea now but they're kinda stuck with interfaces that everybody knows how to use and I think they're scared to be too bold. I'm hoping Windows Mobile 7 will be the next decent interface besides Apples.

Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
Awesome review. I really wanted to hear that from some one in this forum not just an anonymous guy who I found after googling. The no-WiFi feature itself shocked me, that's going to be horrible, at least for me, because in my country 3G is very slow and very very very expensive, and it's going to be really hard to even IM using that.

Twinnie

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007
Yeah, lack of wifi was a stupid decision. Apparently some guy got told by a Vodafone rep that they did it to try and sell data plans but if you're going to omit some vital feature and try to charge people for an alternative you don't remove something that's become totally standard on phones now. I wouldn't touch a phone without wifi now, I rely on it to make up for the crappy receptions I get in my house and 3G is no alternative to a 10MB connection.

To be honest though I expect it is Verizon that caused the lack of wifi. I know Americans tend to suffer and the hands of the networks but here in the UK all this crippling of the bluetooth to get you to send MMS, stuff like that doesn't happen so I think this decision will hurt sales across the globe.

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
i picked up a Storm this morning, and while it's a decent phone, I would not recommend anybody to ditch their iPhone for it unless you need Blackberry email. In my most humble opinion, typing on it isn't near as good as the iPhones and trying to enter text in text boxes on forums or in programs is rather cumbersome. There is a lot to like about it, but I would not trade my Bold for it nor would I trade an iPhone for it :D

miggs1310

Bronze
Jul 29, 2008
i picked up a Storm this morning, and while it's a decent phone, I would not recommend anybody to ditch their iPhone for it unless you need Blackberry email. In my most humble opinion, typing on it isn't near as good as the iPhones and trying to enter text in text boxes on forums or in programs is rather cumbersome. There is a lot to like about it, but I would not trade my Bold for it nor would I trade an iPhone for it :D

Good to know there are still unbiased opinions out there, thank you.:cool:

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Oh no, Aggie's definitely biased. :)

He loves his crackberries, so an honest assessment from him means a lot to me on this subject. Thanks, dude.

danipoak

Silver
Dec 13, 2007
Not Alaska
Interesting you say the picture and video is better on the strom. From what I have read the iPhone is capable of displaying a significantly larger amount of colors.

Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
Interesting you say the picture and video is better on the strom. From what I have read the iPhone is capable of displaying a significantly larger amount of colors.
That is really based on the technical specs, don't you think?

So here's what came up when I did a comparison between the Storm 9500 (which is the current one by Vodafone, there's also a 9530 but that's not even out yet) and the iPhone 3G.

http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone2=2424&idPhone1=2534

Aren't 16M colors better than 65K? I am not sure.

harleygold

Bronze
Jul 26, 2008
Anderson, IN
Glad to know my iPhone is a far more better purchase. I'm going to be stick'n with Apple for a long time. :)