Got a suspicious email from apple

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Kobel1up

Contributor
Bronze
Mar 14, 2012
Eastern Ohio
Got an email today from apple on my iCloud account. It said that I wasn't using my iTunes account and if I wanted to keep it I needed to click a link. Now I am real sure it is a bogus email because my iTunes account uses my gmail account. Also because I don't believe apple would send a link for me to click on. I think they would just tell me to log in.

Anyone else get this type of email?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
Look at the sender's address carefully. If it's anything other than [something].apple.com, then it's definitely bogus. And even if it's from an apple.com sender and you still have a funny feeling about it, call their 800 number before you click on anything!

Last edited:

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
A screen shot of what I got.

I would highly recommend reading this Apple support document: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204759

Do not send it to Tim Cook.

Here’s where it should be sent to (from the article at the above link):

IMG_3978.PNG

Additionally, you may want to report it to phishing-report@us-cert.gov. It is part of the Department of Homeland Security, so hopefully that’s a good thing(?). Here’s their website: https://www.us-cert.gov/report-phishing

Last edited:

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
Someone just tried a phishing attack on me via text. Exactly how stupid do they think I am?

IMG_3979.PNG

I have never used BB&T Bank. Never even heard of it until now.

JDem

Contributor
Bronze
Jan 19, 2011
NNJ and Central PA
Ya don't need to read any articles or contact anyone. Bottom line is simply never click any link in any email asking/telling you to login to anything...Period. If there is a doubt in your mind that the email is legit, simply open a browser and go to the company website and login. If there is a matter that requires your attention, you'll find out right away.

The end!

Oh and Rafagon is on the money about reporting it to phishing-report@us-cert.gov.

47seijar

Zealot
Bronze
Oct 6, 2012
Denville, NJ
I've gotten a bunch of these. They're bogus - attempts to get your login credentials. NEVER click a link. Instead, if there is a question you can go to Apple's site manually and log in.

efuseakay

Contributor
Silver
Nov 11, 2008
"for the length of time"

"i cloud"...

I stopped wondering if it was a scam after that. It's pretty obvious. I'd report it.

Kobel1up

Contributor
Bronze
Mar 14, 2012
Eastern Ohio
Thanks for the replies, sorry for being absent from the post for awhile. I reported it to apple, mostly I was wanting to see if others received emails similar to this. I did find it weird that my apple email account didn't flag it and send it to junk.

Kobel1up

Contributor
Bronze
Mar 14, 2012
Eastern Ohio
I've gotten a bunch of these. They're bogus - attempts to get your login credentials. NEVER click a link. Instead, if there is a question you can go to Apple's site manually and log in.
I got another email today. Well I replied to it with F*** you scammers. I felt better then I got another email. It had images to download. I deleted the email. So could they get any info off me just by me replying?