got free replacement phone, not sure why

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

jfleming01

Bronze
Apr 29, 2009
My daughter's ip5 has been having issues with wifi (on/off button greyed out) and with Bluetooth, so we took it into the genius bar. After diagnostics the guy said it was a hardware problem and gave her a replacement- free.Her phone had been purchased in sept 12 so I was not thinking it was under warranty. I didn't question it, but I'm just curious. Thanks.

Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
Apple will give a replacement phone or a less expensive one if the issue with the current phone is not caused by you. When you buy it, you immediately have a 1 year warranty.

"Apple Inc. (“Apple”) warrants this apple-branded hardware product against defects in materials and workmanship under normal use for a period of ONE (1) YEAR from the date of retail purchase by the original end-user purchaser (“Warranty Period”). If a hardware defect arises and a valid claim is received within the Warranty Period, at its option and to the extent permitted by law, Apple will either (1) repair the hardware defect at no charge, using new or refurbished replacement parts, (2) exchange the product with a product that is new or which has been manufactured from new or serviceable used parts and is at least functionally equivalent to the original product, or (3) refund the purchase price of the product. Apple may request that you replace defective parts with new or refurbished user-installable parts that Apple provides in fulfillment of its warranty obligation."

Last edited by a moderator:

Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator
Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
Apple will give a replacement phone or a less expensive one if the issue with the current phone is not caused by you. When you buy it, you immediately have a 1 year warranty.

"Apple Inc. (“Apple”) warrants this apple-branded hardware product against defects in materials and workmanship under normal use for a period of ONE (1) YEAR from the date of retail purchase by the original end-user purchaser (“Warranty Period”). If a hardware defect arises and a valid claim is received within the Warranty Period, at its option and to the extent permitted by law, Apple will either (1) repair the hardware defect at no charge, using new or refurbished replacement parts, (2) exchange the product with a product that is new or which has been manufactured from new or serviceable used parts and is at least functionally equivalent to the original product, or (3) refund the purchase price of the product. Apple may request that you replace defective parts with new or refurbished user-installable parts that Apple provides in fulfillment of its warranty obligation."
I think his point was that he purchased it over a year ago - September 2012.

Last edited by a moderator:

jfleming01

Bronze
Apr 29, 2009
Not upset at all. I was expecting to have to pay around $200. My son asked me why I didn't question them about it... kids!

Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
Not upset at all. I was expecting to have to pay around $200. My son asked me why I didn't question them about it... kids!
I have never questioned when I get something for free or a replacement for cheaper. I have noticed a lot of times it really depends on the person you're speaking with at the time.

jfleming01

Bronze
Apr 29, 2009
Sometimes Apple is just nice like that. The individual store/genius has some latitude with dealing with replacements, in and out of warranty.
that's what I figured. Since we have 5 iPhones, 2 ipads, 2 mac book pros, an Apple TV and some touches and nanos- I'd be nice to me too! That's what a great brand and well-thought-of customer service will do for a corporation.

Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
that's what I figured. Since we have 5 iPhones, 2 ipads, 2 mac book pros, an Apple TV and some touches and nanos- I'd be nice to me too! That's what a great brand and well-thought-of customer service will do for a corporation.
Wow! That is a lot of Apple products! What I really want in my future in an iMac. But of course not now. Only when I get out of school and into my own home.

Yes, you're right. Apple is great when it comes to customer service. They know that customers will have issues even after the 1 year warranty is up, and they take that info consideration.