Got iPhone wet, Everything works but..

jptolife

Silver
Jul 15, 2007
New York City
Is there a chance that it will start acting up later this week or the next? I just read somewhere that it might happen. I heated it up and everything works(Mic, speaker, screen, light) Absolutely everything works. Should I take it back to Apple now before it starts doing funny stuff?

Aug 2, 2007
Long Island N.Y.
Was it completely submerged in water?, if so i would take it back, but if it just got splashed a bit, and everything is working, you should be fine.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
Was it completely submerged in water?, if so i would take it back, but if it just got splashed a bit, and everything is working, you should be fine.
If the water indicators turned color, Apple isn't going to do a thing. Water damage voids the warranty.

jptolife

Silver
Jul 15, 2007
New York City
Yeah, fell in the toiled. So I should take it back? I know a way to turn the indicators back to white.

Plus, I can take it back with the excuse that I can see light coming through the left side from inside. They wont even look at the indicators.

FlwrPwer

Evangelist
Gold
Aug 7, 2008
Montgomery, NY
How did you pay?

American Express will give you a new one if you bought it with them.

I know this cause my mom dropped her Nintendo DS in the toilet.

p.s. I won't even go near why the iPhone was in the bathroom with you ;)

jptolife

Silver
Jul 15, 2007
New York City
How did you pay?

American Express will give you a new one if you bought it with them.

I know this cause my mom dropped her Nintendo DS in the toilet.

p.s. I won't even go near why the iPhone was in the bathroom with you ;)
LOL, actually it was at the gym. I had it in my hand and it just slipped when I was taking a leak. I almost cried. lol

AdrianCubed

Zealot
Gold
Jul 19, 2008
London or Miami
Eww thats gross!, I hope you put a hair dryer on low heat to dry the phone, as well as unscrewing the 2 screws on the bottom, removing the sim and removing the back shell, and drying the inside of the phone. As far as disinfecting the phone...the best i can think of would be the tiniest amount of vinegar (since chemicals/cleaners are corrosive) This will also keep mold from growin inside or between spaces of say the screen/battery.

Most technology can survive a water mishap...its the corrosion effect(rust, mold, saturation) of the water and even worse corrosion from salt water that do the most damage. If you ever happen to drop a phone in salt water, take the phone, drop it again in fresh water then proceed to dry. Salt and microchips = death but fresh water and microchips IS savable.

jptolife

Silver
Jul 15, 2007
New York City
The gym I go to is pretty clean, I know what you mean though but I was not about to leave my precious there. lol

Anyways, I did use a hair dryer to dry it or like 30 minutes and like I said everything is working fine. What I want to know is if something can still happen because it was wet for about an hour.

AdrianCubed

Zealot
Gold
Jul 19, 2008
London or Miami
The most that can happen is mold, in which your would need to open the phone up to make sure. If nothing else is wrong, i STRONGLY suggest wiping the phone down with a disinfecting wipe, babywipe or something to kill the ammonia from....eh yeah.

FlwrPwer

Evangelist
Gold
Aug 7, 2008
Montgomery, NY
LOL, actually it was at the gym. I had it in my hand and it just slipped when I was taking a leak. I almost cried. lol
while you were taking a leak....hahahahahahaha

Who reached in to get it? I'm sorry, it's so not funny. But the way you said it..kinda is ;)

I'm not so sure I would've saved mine if that happened. Might have just taken the loss. :)

jptolife

Silver
Jul 15, 2007
New York City
As long as nothing else will happen because of this water damage I don't have the need to take back to Apple. Thanks all! :)

Aug 2, 2007
Long Island N.Y.
If the water indicators turned color, Apple isn't going to do a thing. Water damage voids the warranty.
Right you are sir.
JP, if its working you lucked out, because as Dturner says Apple wont give you a replacement for it.
Im actually surprised it is working though, being submerged like it was.

jptolife

Silver
Jul 15, 2007
New York City
Right you are sir.
JP, if its working you lucked out, because as Dturner says Apple wont give you a replacement for it.
Im actually surprised it is working though, being submerged like it was.
Well in the beginning it went crazy. Turned airplane mode one, acted like the vibrate switch was being turned on and off and then turned off and kept on turning itself on and off. The screen started flashing, I definitely thought I had lost it while seeing that but then I dried it and it works. I guess I am very lucky. The water indicator IS half red though.

rmfnla

Bronze
Is there a chance that it will start acting up later this week or the next? I just read somewhere that it might happen. I heated it up and everything works(Mic, speaker, screen, light) Absolutely everything works. Should I take it back to Apple now before it starts doing funny stuff?
After all the weird sh!t I've been reading on this forum there's a good chance it will start "acting up" even without having fallen into a toilet.

Remind me never to ask to borrow your phone... :eek:

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
My rule of thumb:

#2: Sure, iPhone comes out pretty much every time. It's squandered surfing opportunity otherwise. Just make sure you drop trou and sit down before you take it out of your pocket, then lock and replace to your pocket before standing up. No chance of the OP's situation happening then.

#1: No time for iPhone. At least, there shouldn't be. Plus, you have enough things to deal with with your hands. Why create another? Text your chick later.

Just my 2 pence.