Got it! Disappointed

kirkf

Feb 1, 2008
Well, I went and purchasd my iPhone Saturday at an ATT store. No APPLE Store here. Got it activated and found out the %$#@! thing won't work. Spent 1 1/2 hours on the phone with APPLE doing diagnostics and finally figured out that the phone has a hardware problem. Has to be sent back to APPLE. I can't just return it to the ATT Store for another one. So I have to wait for the FEDEX box to arrive tomorrow, forward it back to APPLE and wait another 3-4 days for the replacement to arrive. I will be lucky if it makes it back here by Friday. This is very disappointing! However, the phone is awesome, that is the part of the phone that actually works.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
I have had to send my iPhone in to Apple. The turn around time was about 48 hours from drop-off to delivery at my door.
Sorry to hear that you got a bad one out the door, but this means you should be good from here on out. ;)

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
I would not stand for that. Take it back to the AT&T store and demand a replacement.

It's only been three days, you can return it as damaged (and you are well within the return window). They cannot charge you a restocking fee on something that is damaged.

--
Mike

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
I agree with what Tinman said. You are clearly within the window that you can return the product to AT&T. Take it back, demand a new one, and threaten to cancel your contract, as you are also in the window in which you can do that (if you weren't previously on contract with AT&T).

iMerlin

Silver
Sep 20, 2007
Algonquin, IL
I agree with the previous 2 posters. You might not want to "DEMAND" a new one. But simply let them know this is unacceptable. Especially for a $400 phone. I usually get what I want by being nice to people. If you go in demanding anything, you will be less likely to get help. Just my opinion.

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
I agree with the previous 2 posters. You might not want to "DEMAND" a new one. But simply let them know this is unacceptable. Especially for a $400 phone. I usually get what I want by being nice to people. If you go in demanding anything, you will be less likely to get help. Just my opinion.
well yeah don't demand in an aggressive manner, but try to use his position as leverage if they put up any resistance. There is no reason I can see that he can't get a new one from AT&T. Especially if he's a new customer to AT&T without contract. I got a bad one with them and have exchanged before with no problems.

iMerlin

Silver
Sep 20, 2007
Algonquin, IL
Absolutely agree. Catch more bees with honey, or whatever that stupid saying is.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
I agree with the previous 2 posters. You might not want to "DEMAND" a new one.
Why not? Is it wrong to expect a working product these days, after forking over $400 plus a two year commitment?

Being nice is one thing, but there is nothing wrong with demanding a working product either. This is especially true when you are well within your return window and the company has already--in essense--flipped you off by trying to make you get a replacement unit that could very well be a refurb.

--
Mike

almarlimjr

Bronze
Jan 4, 2008
On the back of your receipt it specifically states that if you're not satisfied with the phone you have 14 days to return it. The only think you'll have to demand is not paying the restocking fee. You shouldn't have a problem. I would start out calm and collected and if you don't get what you want ask for the manager and raise hell!

kylegod

Silver
Jan 1, 2008
Bethlehem, Pa
I would take the trip to the att store. I hate cellphone stores/companies. They are sketchy and worse than used car salesmen

kirkf

Feb 1, 2008
Thanks guys for the feedback!

I called the ATT store and talked with them. They said once the phone leaves the store its APPLES problem. No exchanges. You have to deal with APPLE. Sorry.

To me this is totally unacceptable. After more thought on this, I believe a trip to the ATT is in order. Just have to make sure I keep my temper in check. Will let you know what happens.

P. S. What if I return the phone to ATT, well within the 14 day exchange period, they waive the 10% restocking fee, and I purchase another phone.

Griffinaz

Zealot
Gold
Oct 5, 2007
Phoenix, Arizona
Why not? Is it wrong to expect a working product these days, after forking over $400 plus a two year commitment?

Being nice is one thing, but there is nothing wrong with demanding a working product either. This is especially true when you are well within your return window and the company has already--in essense--flipped you off by trying to make you get a replacement unit that could very well be a refurb.

--
Mike
There is definitely a difference between demanding a working product and "rudely" demanding a working product. As Mike said, You can demand a replacement on the spot due to the fact this product did not work as advertized and the product was new and purchased from that location. In that case the demanding is just being firm, yet polite, and absolutely appropriate for the situation. Demanding rudely wont get you anywhere though. I would take it back, explain politely the situation. When the clerk tells you that it will have to be returned for repair, request to speak to a member of management and then politely demand that they replace the defective product that they sold you or you will cancel your contract and request your money back.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Thanks guys for the feedback!

I called the ATT store and talked with them. They said once the phone leaves the store its APPLES problem. No exchanges. You have to deal with APPLE. Sorry.

To me this is totally unacceptable. After more thought on this, I believe a trip to the ATT is in order. Just have to make sure I keep my temper in check. Will let you know what happens.

P. S. What if I return the phone to ATT, well within the 14 day exchange period, they waive the 10% restocking fee, and I purchase another phone.
Assuming you paid with a credit card, make sure--when you are in the store face-to-face--that if they don't either give you another iPhone or waive the restocking fee that you will contest any charges with your CC company.

Be polite, but firm. Explain that it's entirely unreasonable for them to expect you to accept damaged goods and get a possible refurbished unit in return. Advise them that consumer protection law is in your favor and that you won't hesitate to contact the pr

You have the upper hand here, no matter how they try to spin it.

--
Mike

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
I would start out calm and collected and if you don't get what you want ask for the manager and raise hell!
Well put. There is no way I would send it to Apple. I don't recall you saying, but are you footing the shipping charges? No, I am off to the ATT store and following above advice.

rennyn

Bronze
Like the others have said, take it back to the AT&T store. Pretty sure they'd be breaking the law if they said you can't. Most states its 14 days for any reason, for some its 30 days.

Buffy

Zealot
Gold
Jan 20, 2008
If I remember correctly, you have 14 days to return an iPhone to the ATT store if you don't like it. Give them a choice - either give you a new phone or give you a refund. Cell companies and stores make me want to %$#@!

AWY

Bronze
Sep 6, 2007
California
Sorry to read about your terrible experience. I trust that you get a working iPhone in short time. The best of luck to you.

llrickman

Contributor
Silver
Jan 12, 2008
Albuquerque , NM
when we bought our phones my worked perfect right from the start . My wifes the wifi didn't work . I took it back to the store and after about an hour of arguing with those idiots i walked out with a new phone. (paid the restocking fee which was credited back on my bill) took it home and activated it and guess what no wifi. Returned the following day went through the same thing again Paid another restocking fee that was credited back and took home ANOTHER iPhone to find out the wifi still wouldn't work.

I called Apple after that one they sent a loaner at no charge (they wanted 29 bucks for the loaner) and shipped out her 3rd phone to be repaired .

Well after this weekend my wife is on her 7th or 8th iPhone im still using my original . After they wifi problem she has had major problems with her phone locking down

and btw that first loaner phone they sent the wifi didn't work on it either

kirkf

Feb 1, 2008
Well, I got a new phone from the ATT Store. They were not to pleased in doing this, however they did do it. It is now activated. I did notice the WiFi is not working. I hope it is a setting issue.