Got it! Disappointed

Griffinaz

Zealot
Gold
Oct 5, 2007
Phoenix, Arizona
I am glad you got a new phone without having to wait for them to ship you one. Let us know how it goes with getting the wifi to work.

impaler

Silver
Apr 28, 2007
I would not stand for that. Take it back to the AT&T store and demand a replacement.

It's only been three days, you can return it as damaged (and you are well within the return window). They cannot charge you a restocking fee on something that is damaged.
Yes they can. AT&T hates the iPhone, because Apple doesn't let them do anything, really. They aren't really even supposed to reactivate them--by being nice I got a dude to reactivate one for me when I went to another phone and decided to come back after 1.1.3 was released. They will either say take the restocking fee, or work with Apple, as they are not set up for support for the device.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Yes they can. AT&T hates the iPhone, because Apple doesn't let them do anything, really. They aren't really even supposed to reactivate them--by being nice I got a dude to reactivate one for me when I went to another phone and decided to come back after 1.1.3 was released. They will either say take the restocking fee, or work with Apple, as they are not set up for support for the device.
Doesn't matter what they try to say, they have to take back a damaged product. My credit card, my payment, my last word. I am not about to kiss someone's butt just so they do what they are supposed to do in the first place.

--
Mike

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
Well, I got a new phone from the ATT Store. They were not to pleased in doing this, however they did do it. It is now activated. I did notice the WiFi is not working. I hope it is a setting issue.
good to hear you got a new one. Hope you get the WiFi working. Most likely it is a settings problem..took me a bit to get mine configured right.

greenjbhsd

Silver
Jul 13, 2007
it was mentioned already, but be weary of the refurb white box.
I am not 100% sure if I have a refurb but I do have a white box phone now and it is far more reliable then my Apple box phones ever were.

Apple phone #1 ear receiver stopped working - no fix exchange for new Apple box phone.
Apple phone #2 calls were dropping like mad and the signal strength was all over. Apple said defective, gave me a "new" white box phone.
Apple phone #3 is working better then #1 and 2 ever did.

Remember - many companies that refurb actually do more QC on those units then brand new ones. Refurbs can actually be more reliable then a brand new one in consumer dress.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
I am not 100% sure if I have a refurb but I do have a white box phone now and it is far more reliable then my Apple box phones ever were.

Apple phone #1 ear receiver stopped working - no fix exchange for new Apple box phone.
Apple phone #2 calls were dropping like mad and the signal strength was all over. Apple said defective, gave me a "new" white box phone.
Apple phone #3 is working better then #1 and 2 ever did.

Remember - many companies that refurb actually do more QC on those units then brand new ones. Refurbs can actually be more reliable then a brand new one in consumer dress.
Apple sells refurbished iPhone at a discount. I wouldn't expect to pay full price only to end up with a refurb less than a week after the purchase.

After the return period is up it's a whole different ballgame though...

--
Mike

almarlimjr

Bronze
Jan 4, 2008
Apple sells refurbished iPhone at a discount. I wouldn't expect to pay full price only to end up with a refurb less than a week after the purchase.

After the return period is up it's a whole different ballgame though...

--
Mike

I remember reading in the terms in conditions that came with the phone that they have the option of replacing a warranted iPhone with a refurb.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
I remember reading in the terms in conditions that came with the phone that they have the option of replacing a warranted iPhone with a refurb.
You don't need any warranty when a product is still eligible to be returned.

Companies try to pull this all of the time. I bought a grill last year, and it cost over $1,000. The first thing it said when opening it up was something to the effect of "Don't return to store, call this number if you have a problem!" Turns out there was a problem and the manufacturer wanted me to wait for a replacement part. I didn't play that game, drove the whole thing back to Lowe's, and walked out with a new one--they didn't even attempt to dissuade me (had they I might very well have just returned it outright, and bought something at Home Depot instead).

--
Mike

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
Well, I got a new phone from the ATT Store. They were not to pleased in doing this, however they did do it. It is now activated. I did notice the WiFi is not working. I hope it is a setting issue.
Good for you. You did the right thing. I think cell phone providers think they own the world. I sure hope it is a setting issue too on the WiFi.

Spikefood

Bronze
Oct 3, 2007
Update us with what happens with the wifi issue. It could be a hardware problem.