Got mine today...yay!

dcom

Zealot
Gold
Aug 7, 2007
Suwanee, GA
Even though I swore 2 weeks ago that I didn't need to get a 3G, it has been on my mind ever since...kind of like that old Volkswagen commercial where the guy wakes up with a small VW attached to his head and they say "Bob has something on his mind" and the car gets bigger throughout the day. Well, that was me this past week but with an iPhone stuck to my head.

I called the Apple store closest to work this morning and was told they had all models in stock, with a limited number of the 16Gig black. I called my wife and asked her to meet me down there because of their silly rule that says each person buying a phone must be present and have it activated in the store. A rule we found out isn't necessarily true. I arrived at the store at 11:45 and saw that there were about 15 people in line outside the store.

One of the store employees said the wait was about 3 hours if I got in it then so I did. A few minutes later another employee came down the line asking what we wanted to get and he gave us cards. I told him I wanted a black and white 16Gig so I got 2 cards. I also asked about the requirement of having to be present to get more than 1 phone. He told me that if I was going to be the primary account holder on both lines and we were going to go with a family plan, I could get both and that I should explain that to the people inside. That was good.

About 10 minutes later, my wife shows up and I tell her it may be 3 hours so she goes off to the food court in the mall (North Point Mall in Alpharetta, GA) and returns with a couple of cheesesteak sandwhiches and Cokes. Ahh, a romantic lunch under the fluorescent lights of the mall, standing with the other nerds waiting for the latest gotta-have-it gadget. Does it get any better than that, I ask you? :)

An hour passes and I get moved up to Line, Phase 2...the one in front of the store. They were shuffling a few people at a time from the main line to the store-front line as the activators were processing people through. At this point, my wife can't wait so she wishes me well and reminds me to tell them she doesn't want her current phone deactivated because she might need it on the way home from work this afternoon. We were told by 2 employees that as long as they don't connect the new 3G phone to the computer to activate it, her old phone will work. That turned out to be a incorrect. More on that in a minute.

Another hour passes and I'm moved inside the store. Another hour passes and I get to hand my 2 tickets to the girl who is handing out phones. She then passes me on to one of the activators who gets all my info and activates my phone by connecting it to the computer in the store. I explained that I will be converting our accounts to a family plan and that I don't want the other phone activated because it would shut down my wife's service and she doesn't want that to happen until she gets home. No problem, I was told, her old phone should stay active until you hook the new one up to a computer at home. They scanned all the bar codes on her phone but left it in the box, took her info from me, I paid and left. They had apparently run out while I was in the store because there was no line when I left.

When I got back to work and turned on my new phone, I had a missed call and a voice mail from her saying she had No Service! Doh! Somebody at Apple was obviously misinformed because as soon as they scanned her phone's bar codes and entered her info, it shut off her old phone. Her new phone is showing that it needs to be connected to iTunes so it's not activated either. I'm guessing it will be ok once I get home and do that though. She was slightly perturbed about this and emailed the manager at the store and told him the story and that she thinks a $25 iTunes GC would be sufficient compensation for pain and suffering :) He promptly agreed and is going to send us at least one, maybe 2 of them :) I reminded her that she at least has 911 service available if it is needed and that made her feel better.

So, we are now the proud owners of 2 new 3Gs, one white and one black.

My quest is at an end.

SikShift

Zealot
Gold
Jul 22, 2008
Bradenton, FL
Congratulations on your shiny new iPhone, i know you'll come to love it as much as i do :)

kisstine

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Northern California
You know that your attempt to resist was futile.. right? You *needed* those sexy new iPhones. ;)

Congrats!

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Congratz, dude! Well worth the wait, I'm sure. Enjoy it!

Indy

Zealot
Gold
Jul 29, 2007
Congratz on the new phones!

Can't wait till my iday, oh and I'm thinking of suprising my wife with one, whether she likes it or not!:p

Thanks for the story, I've got big plans for my iday thread.;)

dcom

Zealot
Gold
Aug 7, 2007
Suwanee, GA
I'm starting to wonder of the gods really wanted me to have it because on my way home (on the motorcycle), I got caught in a thunderstorm the likes of which I've never seen before. Fortunately, I had the insight to put the phones in plastic bags before putting them in my pockets (of a mesh jacket). They got home dry, I got home drenched.

cabinets

Bronze
Jul 20, 2007
Atlanta Ga
Cool! I was at Northpoint today for a case and saw the line. It grew a bit by noon!

dcom

Zealot
Gold
Aug 7, 2007
Suwanee, GA
Cool! I was at Northpoint today for a case and saw the line. It grew a bit by noon!
At noon, I was probably 10th in the main line. Overall, the process was pretty smooth but I just don't get why it takes so long for each person. I mentioned this to the activator guy, saying the original iPhone purchase was much smoother. He said they just wanted everyone to get the pleasure of the full purchase experience. WTF? So, standing in line for several hours then watching him hook the phone to a computer, handing it back to you and saying "Off you go" is somehow pleasurable? Whatever.

impaler

Silver
Apr 28, 2007
You were nuts to wait that long. I spent about 20 minutes with the AT&T folks after mine came in via DF. I love Apple products but not THAT much!

bmargolis

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
I guess I was lucky... I went to the Apple Store in South Beach on Friday and was in and out in less than 30 minutes with a white phone. (all that they had in stock, but the one that I wanted)

They were "pre-qualifying" people in line, but when I got there at 2:40pm there was only one person ahead of me. Overall, a great experience and I'm happy that I drove the 45 minutes to get there.

dcom

Zealot
Gold
Aug 7, 2007
Suwanee, GA
You were nuts to wait that long. I spent about 20 minutes with the AT&T folks after mine came in via DF. I love Apple products but not THAT much!
Yeah, I know...and I even told myself that I wouldn't wait but I'd heard about a lot of DF problems and getting that ticket meaning I had a sure buy sort of sealed the deal for me.

kokogirl

Gold
Sep 8, 2007
Sunny Florida
At noon, I was probably 10th in the main line. Overall, the process was pretty smooth but I just don't get why it takes so long for each person. I mentioned this to the activator guy, saying the original iPhone purchase was much smoother. He said they just wanted everyone to get the pleasure of the full purchase experience. WTF? So, standing in line for several hours then watching him hook the phone to a computer, handing it back to you and saying "Off you go" is somehow pleasurable? Whatever.
Congrats on the 3G!

The pleasure of the of the full purchase experience? That is funny.