Got my iPhone 4 for free!

snowape

Bronze
Jun 17, 2009
Well so far, sort of a long story. I think most people know AT&T is not supposed to charge your account until your phone ships, well they charged my account on day 1 and then charged my account the day it shipped. My wife had a fit and went to At&T, got some slip from them and went to the back, the bank took the second charge back and put money back into the account, now AT&T now deposited the first charge back into my account... So now my iPhone is currently free, Im sure they will catch this at some point, but we will see.

Last edited by a moderator:

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
I'd flag it up, before they send you a large bill in one go. I know it's their fault, but you don't want to get a huge bill in one calendar month.

{StatuSChecKa}

Contributor
Silver
Jul 7, 2010
NorCal
No after all the BS AT&T and Apple is pulling (issues, lame press releases, and no unlimited), just don't do anything.
Worst case is that they will charge you the amount on the first bill (you were gonna spend the money anyway). And if its still not the right amount you can fix that over the phone.
I'm an pretty honest person, but even i'd leave this as is.

E Pow

Bronze
Dec 16, 2008
Cincinnati, OH
Knowing At&t they are gonna bill you right when you aren’t thinking about it or forget about it. It might be months from now but we all know At&t is gonna get their money.

snowape

Bronze
Jun 17, 2009
the money is in the bank, so they can bill me for it when they find it, I just found it to be odd that they would make this kind of mistake

Ryanz27

Bronze
Jun 12, 2010
Minnesota
I had something similar to this happen to me 2 years ago when I bought an RC Car for $400. They sent the wrong one so I called and told them and they said to send it back and they will send the right one. Well I had a family emergency come up and I didn't have time to ship it back right away and a few days later the UPS delivered the other car. They sent the right one before I even shipped out the one I had. I keept it to see if they would have caught it..... They never did. And its been 2 years now And I got a free $400 RC car :)

zandrik

Bronze
Jul 27, 2007
How about being honest and telling them? Maybe they'll say thank you and give the phone to you for free anyways for being honest. Even if they don't karma won't kick you in the ass later on.

Watcher

Zealot
Gold
Mar 29, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Okay, I think I may have a little more honest story about getting my iPhone 4 for free. 2 days before mine arrived, I received a $400 check from the IRS saying they made a mistake on my particular tax form regarding federal tax charges! :cool::eek:k:eek:k

fedexgnd

Bronze
Aug 7, 2007
Me too. I ordered my iPhone 4 on July 1st. So as normal they did a pre-authorization for the price of the phone. Well the phone wnet on backorder. So the pre-authorization fell off and the phone shipped the next day (july 8th) I still have yet to be charged for the phone on credit card.

jtsarby

Bronze
Jun 28, 2009
In retail there is something called shrinkage. No jokes allowed. It is for lost, stolen, or damaged merchandise they can't sell. All shrinkage does is drive the cost of their goods and services. The retailer is not about to say, oh well, and let it go. They pass along the cost to us. I would say notify AT&T of the error.

iMeth

Jul 17, 2007
baby oahu
How about being honest and telling them? Maybe they'll say thank you and give the phone to you for free anyways for being honest. Even if they don't karma won't kick you in the ass later on.
^LMAO.. Be nice and honest to AT&T? Give me a break.

No TC don't tell them anything, like my man epow said att will get their money some way or another. But for now enjoy and go buy some goodies..

jb829904

Contributor
Silver
Jun 24, 2010
MO
Kudos to you; personally, my conscience wouldn't allow me to keep the phone and be able to sleep at night. (=

kenneth

Zealot
Gold
Aug 19, 2008
Texas
You really think that if you went and told them this they would just give you a phone? Lol negative. I found a bag of money at a bank deposit box one time. I went in the following day and returned it. ( they had cameras everywhere) you know what I got? Ah man thanks. No free money no gift card no food. Nothing lol.

Napoleon PhoneApart

Genius
Platinum
Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
You really think that if you went and told them this they would just give you a phone? Lol negative. I found a bag of money at a bank deposit box one time. I went in the following day and returned it. ( they had cameras everywhere) you know what I got? Ah man thanks. No free money no gift card no food. Nothing lol.
Nothing but you doing the right thing, right?

zandrik

Bronze
Jul 27, 2007
I said MAYBE they would. Just dishonesty is my biggest pet peeve. Think about it. If more people were honest and truthful in this world, how much better would our world would be.

Ok now I'm off to save the world!
:k;sarcasm

jtsarby

Bronze
Jun 28, 2009
Why do we deserve anything for being honest? Nothing is free. One way or the other we end up paying.