Got my iPhone 4S a day earlier (Germany)

Discussion in 'iPhone 4S' started by lagalag510, Oct 13, 2011.

1. lagalag510

lagalag510 New Member

Hi Folks. Am totally new to this site so forgive me if I recklessly started a new thread.

I live in Germany and I got my iPhone 4S (white 16GB) today via Vodafone. This is my first iPhone (although I have an iPad and an old iPod).

My first impression, like when I got my iPad, is WOW.

However while testing the functionalities of the phone I realized that it has no SIRI installed !

How do I know (or assume to know) that it has no Siri ? When I press and hold the home button I don't get the advertised screen with microfone. I get a blue screen instead which fromwhat I see from Youtube is what resembles the old voice dial feature of iPhone. I tried to ask 'What's the weather today?' and it just tries to dial any number resembling my spoken words.

I've verified that hardware-wise it IS an iPhone 4S. The model number at the back says A1387, the model number in 'about' section is MD239D. Physically the side brackets have additional gaps at both upper left and right portions. Software-wise it comes with IOS5.

Maybe somebody can point me to the right direction if Im doing this thing wrongly?

Thanks a million.

Viele Grüße aus Deutschland.

2. Test-Pilot

Test-Pilot Member
    Bronze

I might be mistaken, but Siri is still a Beta, and I don't think it's available in any langauges other than English. Although you might be using English, being that your phone is on a German carrier, it may simply not be on your OS yet.

3. JDem

JDem Contributor
    Bronze

This may be a stupid question, but have you gone into Settings -> General -> Siri and enabled it?

4. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

The little disclaimer on the bottom of the Apple web page:

Siri is available in Beta only on iPhone 4S and requires Internet access. Siri may not be available in all langauges or in all areas, and features may vary by area. Cellular data charges may apply.

5. lagalag510

lagalag510 New Member

Hi JDem.

That's not a stupid question at all. In fact Im the one feeling stupid now because I did not enable it in the Settings !

This was my first action while looking for it earlier but somehow did not find it.

So now after some trial with Siri I can really say W O W ! to iPhone. (and am now 100% convinced that I got a 4S and not 4)

Thanks a lot!

6. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

Notation made.... Enable Siri when phone arrives. Good info. Seems like a lot of features need to be turned on first.

7. Jodyw16

Jodyw16 Member
    Bronze

Glad you got it working! That would have been a huge disappointment. I was hyperventilating for you... LOL

8. Jodyw16

Jodyw16 Member
    Bronze

Yes! Good to know!

9. lagalag510

lagalag510 New Member

Thanks Scott. Feeling less stupid now ;). ...back to tinkering...

10. gotzaiPhone

gotzaiPhone Zealot
    Gold

Don't feel stupid, we've all done it in one way or another. You should have seen me with my first MacBook. I was like a lost puppy!

11. lagalag510

lagalag510 New Member

Hi Jody. Yes it would have been a HUGE disappointment because I was holding myself for so long from buying the iPhone 4 and instead wait for this next iteration. I hope you're ok now after that hyperventilation. LOL.

12. Jodyw16

Jodyw16 Member
    Bronze

My color is starting to return to normal. :D

13. lagalag510

lagalag510 New Member

Thanks. I also get lost 'inside' a Mac anytime I demo one in the stores. Been a windows users for 16 years now so it's hard to break old habits.:D

By the way the shots I get from the 4S camera are so far convincing me that the generation of decent camera phones have finally arrived. The camera on the 4S is my number one reason for getting it. I never liked the bluish and hazy tone on almost all photos taken on my previous camera phones. The 4S so far makes very decent pics. I always bring my DSLR and/or Point&Shoot cameras with me because I like taking pictures. Now I think my Point&Shoot will be gathering dust and my DSLR will be reserved for planned events. So far so good!