Got my iPhone...now what?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Doors77

Sep 22, 2007
I have a couple questions about the iPhone and this seems the place to get some answers. Ok I bought my phone of Apple the other day and i was wondering if i can just take my sim card (AT&T) and put it in the iPhone and will it work? Im pretty sure someone told told me u need a special plan to use the iPhone, is that true? If its true that i need a special plan is there anyway to get around it? My buddy hacked his iPhone and he uses it just as a portable WiFi and music player.

fright88

Bronze
Sep 17, 2007
You can activate it through iTunes. I don't know anything about hacking the phone You will have to sign up for a 2 year contract to activate it.​

Aug 28, 2007
you need to sign up and activate it through iTunes. You will also need yo buy the service unless you want to unlock it with a different service. So no you cannot use the sim that you already have.

Doors77

Sep 22, 2007
So the only way I could use the phone legally is with an additional 2 year agreement with AT&T even though I already have a plan through them?

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
While there is in fact an actual Sim Card slot, unless you unlock the iPhone using software (which I will tell you about in a minute) then you will not be able to use your old sim. The sim card slot is at the top of the iPhone, you need a small paperclip to push in the tiny hole in the top of the iPhone and the sim card slot is released.
On to getting around activating with a 2 year service plan with AT&T. You really should read around the Modifications section of EiP. There are threads in there that include tutorials on how to unlock the iPhone. I haven't done it myself (as I love AT&T and have been with them forever) so that is why I am not giving direct instructions. You can use the command line unlock but now there is another version that is apparently much easier that is just an application to run. I'm actually considering trying to unlock my iPhone (my friend wants an iPhone but can't break his t-mobile contract, so I might be able to give mine to him) just to see how difficult or easy it is, so I will let you know if I am successful.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
Any chance you have a direct link to said application?
I should have asked earlier, but are you running a Mac or a Windows PC? I am running a Windows PC so I use the program iBrickr. I got it from this site, http://cre.ations.net/creation/ibrickr , which includes a great video tutorial on how to "free" your iPhone (which is necessary if you want to unlock it). Once you install iBrickr and follow the instructions in the video (which is for ringtones, but the application you need is also in iBrickr) then you can click on the "Applications" link and it will pull up a list of all applications that are currently available via iBrickr. One of the first applications you will see is called AnySim v1.01. This is the application that you need to run in order to unlock your iPhone. This thread, has a success story from someone using the exact same Application, so I would naturally assume that it would work for you. Now if you are not running a Windows PC then you will need to read into that thread in order to determine how to run the Application to unlock your iPhone. Once again, I haven't done this yet to my own iPhone, but plan to shortly.

Last edited by a moderator:

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
Haha, also, sorry if it made this all seem impossibly difficult, but it really isn't. I had iBrickr up and running in a matter of minutes and I was extremely apprehensive of "hacking" the iPhone in the first place, so you should be fine.

Doors77

Sep 22, 2007
I have windows. Thanks for the help man, I really appreciate it. One last question though, does this hack make it so I can use my sim in the phone and have a working phone and everything or is this just to unlock the WiFi and other programs?

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
I have windows. Thanks for the help man, I really appreciate it. One last question though, does this hack make it so I can use my sim in the phone and have a working phone and everything or is this just to unlock the WiFi and other programs?
As far as I know, this unlock will allow you to use ANY carrier sim, be it AT&T (ie, you don't have to extend your current contract) or Tmobile and have the full functionality of the phone. You would then have to get some sort of Data package from tmobile otherwise you would just have to use wifi when it was available and not have any other data network, ie, edge. But if you just stick your current AT&T sim card in there it SHOULD work as if you were to put the sim into any other unlocked phone.