Got my refund by being nice.

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

FeistyGirl

Bronze
Jun 25, 2007
Glen Burnie, MD
Long story short, I got my refund from the Manager at the local Apple store by being very nice and level headed.

I asked to speak to the manager, and explained that I had purchased the unit on the 29th, and had tried going through the 800 number last night, only to be stuck on hold for over 2 hours only to be told that I was sent to the wrong department and there was nothing I could do but go back to the store. (true)

I was extremely nice about the situation, explaining that, as a normally loyal customer, I felt hurt that Apple would do something like this to an early adapter, and that everything non iPhone related has been nothing but a pleasant experience. Everything related to this fiasco is so out of the 'Apple Norm' that I was shocked. I stated that I was not looking for cash back, merely some sort of possible compensation for being a loyal customer.

To my surprise, the Manager initially offered a $200 credit towards another purchase. This was more then fair to me, so I decided to go with one of the 160gb iPod Classics.

The manager looked in the back, but apparently they did not have them in stock yet. At this point the Manager actually offered to put the money back onto my credit card. I actually declined this offer. Since the manager was making an effort to make me a satisfied customer, I told them that I would rather have a store credit so that I can come back and do businesss with them when the iPods are in stock. I also requested the manager's email address so that I can write a letter of appreciation (which I have already done and sent)

By going in and being extremely nice about the whole situation, the manager was completely sympathetic towards my concern, and was ultimately more concerned with keeping me as a happy customer as opposed to losing money for the day.

Be nice! Don't go in feeling entitled to a refund and don't have an attitude. You are more likely to gain their support this way rather than roaring in waving a receipt expecting a refund.

And by all means if they are willing to help you out in any way, let them know you will praise them to the powers that be, and follow it up! People love to take the time to complain when they are not taken care of, but rarely take the time to show praise when they are.

This approached worked for me, and the Manager was certainly more inclined to work with me as a result.

In short it looks like the 800 Group is refusing to help out, so it appears at this point to be a discretion thing at the store level.

Hopefully some of the rest of you will achieve the same results.

amgslip

Sep 6, 2007
Don't get what everyone is bugging out about

I can’t understand why fellow Apple users feel like suckers for the iPhone price drop. While Jobs has generally stuck with being a “good guy”, I don’t get why you and others (such as this) can’t see that Job is like everyone else. Buy an ipod? Expect the price to drop, or better yet, new versions to come out in a few months. Early adopters pay for that role; they pay through the nose and likely watch the price go down soon thereafter. X-Box, Playstation, any new cell phone, computers, it’s a running joke that that they drop. Here is a great post on the subject. This shouldn’t surprise anyone that Jobs is in it for the buck; it should be surprising that he was so dumb in how he approached and executed it.

diesel

Bronze
Aug 15, 2007
NYC
Long story short, I got my refund from the Manager at the local Apple store by being very nice and level headed.

I asked to speak to the manager, and explained that I had purchased the unit on the 29th, and had tried going through the 800 number last night, only to be stuck on hold for over 2 hours only to be told that I was sent to the wrong department and there was nothing I could do but go back to the store. (true)

I was extremely nice about the situation, explaining that, as a normally loyal customer, I felt hurt that Apple would do something like this to an early adapter, and that everything non iPhone related has been nothing but a pleasant experience. Everything related to this fiasco is so out of the 'Apple Norm' that I was shocked. I stated that I was not looking for cash back, merely some sort of possible compensation for being a loyal customer.

To my surprise, the Manager initially offered a $200 credit towards another purchase. This was more then fair to me, so I decided to go with one of the 160gb iPod Classics.

The manager looked in the back, but apparently they did not have them in stock yet. At this point the Manager actually offered to put the money back onto my credit card. I actually declined this offer. Since the manager was making an effort to make me a satisfied customer, I told them that I would rather have a store credit so that I can come back and do businesss with them when the iPods are in stock. I also requested the manager's email address so that I can write a letter of appreciation (which I have already done and sent)

By going in and being extremely nice about the whole situation, the manager was completely sympathetic towards my concern, and was ultimately more concerned with keeping me as a happy customer as opposed to losing money for the day.

Be nice! Don't go in feeling entitled to a refund and don't have an attitude. You are more likely to gain their support this way rather than roaring in waving a receipt expecting a refund.

And by all means if they are willing to help you out in any way, let them know you will praise them to the powers that be, and follow it up! People love to take the time to complain when they are not taken care of, but rarely take the time to show praise when they are.

This approached worked for me, and the Manager was certainly more inclined to work with me as a result.

In short it looks like the 800 Group is refusing to help out, so it appears at this point to be a discretion thing at the store level.

helps to be a good looking gal too i would imagine.........

Prelector

Bronze
Sep 6, 2007
I can’t understand why fellow Apple users feel like suckers for the iPhone price drop. While Jobs has generally stuck with being a “good guy”, I don’t get why you and others (such as this) can’t see that Job is like everyone else. Buy an ipod? Expect the price to drop, or better yet, new versions to come out in a few months. Early adopters pay for that role; they pay through the nose and likely watch the price go down soon thereafter. X-Box, Playstation, any new cell phone, computers, it’s a running joke that that they drop. Here is a great post on the subject. This shouldn’t surprise anyone that Jobs is in it for the buck; it should be surprising that he was so dumb in how he approached and executed it.
As I mentioned HERE, the standard "early adopter" analogy that many are spouting is flawed. Apple's businesss practices in general, and the iPhone in particular, do NOT typically follow usual technology industry trends.

Last edited by a moderator:

FeistyGirl

Bronze
Jun 25, 2007
Glen Burnie, MD
helps to be a good looking gal too i would imagine.........
Thank you for the compliment.

However, the Manager was a female, and I was in full 'Mom Mode' (ie sweats, baggy T, no makeup, hair a mess, etc) so unless she was a lesbian into sloppy, middle aged women, (which she clearly wasn't) it didn't factor in at all.

And regarding the other comments within this thread...

Apple owed me nothing. I know that. It's the price you pay for being 'first'

However, the timing and amount of this cut are extremely abnormal, even in the tech industry, and certainly for Apple.

Because this price cut is out of the ordinary for Apple, coupled with the fact that Apple is normally known for their exemplary customer service, I can certainly understand why people feel 'cheated' given Apples excellent service in the past

It's not justified, but I do understand it, as I felt the same (although I was nowhere near as livid as some people are)

However, I did not approach them with a false sense of entitlement. I approached them knowing that anything they would be doing would be a favor to me.

Having worked retail previously, I know I personally am more willing to help out someone who is friendly and humble, rather then a self entitled jerk.

Apple owed me nothing at all, but they did prove to me that they do care about their 'good' customers. What little it would have cost them today ended up getting them more money in the long run due to goodwill.

I certainly would not have boycotted Apple if I had not gotten my way, and I would have shopped there casually still. But because of their actions today, they have gained 'loyalty' from me as a consumer, something that will benefit them more in the long run. (Something the Manager I spoke with clearly understood)

lci3341

Bronze
Sep 5, 2007
Most companies would DIE to have customers as loyal as Apple customers--- they are a unique group. So Apple did do the right thing when they realized that and made it up to them.

Aug 28, 2007
I also got my refurbished 4 gig iPhone on the 29th and called the 800 number. After 25 minute hold I got a vary nice customer service rep. who was vary helpful and offered me a refund for the difference. Sense I'm with in the 14 day return period it was the right thing to do. I'm happy with the out come. Try to remember to be polite they are talking to thousands of upset people a bit of courteousness will go a long way.
:cool:

Leed

Aug 5, 2007

Nice....

Sounds like the time I purchased three defective Mac Book Pros and contacted customer relations to express my concerns. Apple made good on that complaint as well.

JuJu

Sep 8, 2007
I also got my refurbished 4 gig iPhone on the 29th and called the 800 number. After 25 minute hold I got a vary nice customer service rep. who was vary helpful and offered me a refund for the difference. Sense I'm with in the 14 day return period it was the right thing to do. I'm happy with the out come. Try to remember to be polite they are talking to thousands of upset people a bit of courteousness will go a long way.
:cool:
I also got a 4 GB refurbished model. Got mine on the 28th. Didn't think they would give a refund on a refurb. Was it also 100 dollars like they are giving everyone else? What is the 800 number you have to call? I would be so happy if I got that same amount. :laugh2:

Aug 28, 2007
I also got a 4 GB refurbished model. Got mine on the 28th. Didn't think they would give a refund on a refurb. Was it also 100 dollars like they are giving everyone else? What is the 800 number you have to call? I would be so happy if I got that same amount. :laugh2:
I called 1-800-692-7753 it took about 25 min. on hold. They also dropped the refurbished price by $100.00 and since we are with in the 14 day return period. It is what they should offer, other wise I would just return the phone and re-order it for less. ;) Good luck.
PS: I was told it would take about 3 days for it to Post to my CC.

JuJu

Sep 8, 2007
Thank you for the number. I will call them tomorrow and see what they say. I only had the phone 1 day and had to send it back for repairs.:( Then I heard about the price reduction.

JuJu

Sep 8, 2007
WOW....... I got a $150.00 refund to my Visa! Now, as long as the phone works OK when I get it back, I'll be VERY happy!