got my replacement iPhone today!

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

brinox

Bronze
Apr 30, 2007
so, on monday my return box came to ship my broke screen iPhone back. i got an email yesterday, saying it arrived and was being processed.

i checked the same page later that night, it has three stages of the repair if you arent familiar. the first is a dispatch (they send you a box overnight to send your device back, overnight as well). the 2nd is the repair/replacement process. and the third is the shipping of the repaired/replaced device.

i got my dispatch box on monday, early morning. i sent my iPhone out in the box late afternoon. it arrived there at their repair center middday on tuesday (yesterday), and then when i checked late last night, around 7ish or so, the page said replacement issued and shipped out (and a pending date of 7/11/2007), which at the time was tomorrow. like anyone else would do, i got my hopes up a bit about receiving my iPhone tomorrow (which is now today).

its nearly 11:30 AM and im sitting with my new iPhone replacement, VERY reluctant to take it out of its packaging. im at work and don't have all my music/movies/contacts and whatnot with me. so im waiting to go home and apply the invisible shield on the screen without touching it AT ALL. So thats a complete 3 businesss day turnaround from shipping my iPhone to receiving a new one. pretty damn excellent service if you ask me.

anyway, the real part that makes this story worth telling right now is the repair bill that was included with the replacement handset... i glanced over it, but kinda got stuck on the part where it says "Covered repair status*". to the left of this says "this is a Covered Repair. Service charges are the responsibility of Apple."

i noticed last night that my bank account hasn't reflected any charges on my debit card yet. and the tech i spoke with on friday said that no charges would be made until the repair/replacement has been made. sadly a few moments after that call my debit card had a $274.86 credit authorization made. that made me irate, when i specifically asked the tech if that would happen, and he assured me it wouldn't. o well - at this time i do not see ANY charge from Apple yet, and am going to be ecstatic if they end up replacing my broken phone for free.

yet another twist, my bank account has a random $1000 deposit and it does not have any identifying depositor associated with it... quite an odd but very exciting day for me.

brinox

Bronze
Apr 30, 2007
i guess no one really cares as much as i thought you all would..

ANYWAY! update on phone replacement stuff:

i synced back up with my computer just now, and noticed it put my text messaging conversations back that i had when i last backed up! seems like iTunes backs ALLLLLL the information on the phone, or a fair amount of it.

just FYI for those that did not know (like me)

TrippalHealicks

Gold
Mar 2, 2007

i synced back up with my computer just now, and noticed it put my text messaging conversations back that i had when i last backed up! seems like iTunes backs ALLLLLL the information on the phone, or a fair amount of it.

I got a question...
Did you get the price BEORE you sent it off to them, or after they saw it...
oh wait, nvm....you told them on the initial phone call that the screen was busted, right?
I got my replacement phone on Saturday morning, and mine was mailed off to them, on monday. I'm still awaiting an email telling me what they're gonna do with it. They've received it, just waiting on their results.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA

Well I'm glad you've got the process started. It's really hard to tell from your post whether your phone is being repaired or just being replaced for the $275.

TrippalHealicks

Gold
Mar 2, 2007
Well I'm glad you've got the process started. It's really hard to tell from your post whether your phone is being repaired or just being replaced for the $275.
I have another question. Was the return phone overnighted?
I just checked status on my phone, and it's "pending return".
Meaning that they've replaced it, and are shipping it back to me. Just wondering how long it'll take. It was dated on the 10th, so if it was overnighted, I may very well get it today...?

MoJoe

Bronze
Jun 28, 2007
www.joebeleznay.com
Here's my repair success story:

I had one white stuck pixel on my iPhone, called Apple last Friday and they said "no prob, we will get you all fixed". They sent me a pre-paid FedEx overnight box on the following day, Saturday, to send it back in. It went out to them on Monday, got there on Tuesday of this week. They diagnosed it that day, and issued a brand spankin new one, and overnighted it to me and I just got it today, Wednesday.

The new replacement is 100% MINT and Apple covered all repair and shipping charges. This is my first experience with Apple, and I'm 110% impressed with their service!

The status of my repair had said "pending product return" as of yesterday and I got it today so Trippal you should get it today maybe.

Joe

TrippalHealicks

Gold
Mar 2, 2007
Here's my repair success story:

I had one white stuck pixel on my iPhone, called Apple last Friday and they said "no prob, we will get you all fixed". They sent me a pre-paid FedEx overnight box on the following day, Saturday, to send it back in. It went out to them on Monday, got there on Tuesday of this week. They diagnosed it that day, and issued a brand spankin new one, and overnighted it to me and I just got it today, Wednesday.

The new replacement is 100% MINT and Apple covered all repair and shipping charges. This is my first experience with Apple, and I'm 110% impressed with their service!

The status of my repair had said "pending product return" as of yesterday and I got it today so Trippel you should get it today maybe.

Joe
VERY FREAKIN' NICE. lol
I wish they didn't have to charge me that 30$, though. :(

brinox

Bronze
Apr 30, 2007
to clear things up on my case - the tech i spoke with on friday said that accidental damage was not covered under Apple's warranty (kinda one of those duh things). he then took my debit card information, and as i said in the original post, that in turn came up as a credit authorization minutes after i got off the phone.

that authorization was gone by sunday evening, because the tech said no bills would be posted until after the repair or replacement was issued. to this minute i have not been billed yet, and the repair slip included with the replacement iPhone i received today basically said Apple was covering EVERYTHING moneywise. ill see if i can scan the slip later today.

and yes, everything was overnighted - from the box to return the handset, and the prepaid return label to ship it back, to the replacement handset i received today. all of it had overnight written in BIG BOLD LETTERS wewt :)

brinox

Bronze
Apr 30, 2007
$274.89 even though my bill stated Apple was covering all service charges.

EDIT:: oh and i didn't ask for a temp phone, nor did i receive one

TrippalHealicks

Gold
Mar 2, 2007
$274.89 even though my bill stated Apple was covering all service charges.

EDIT:: oh and i didn't ask for a temp phone, nor did i receive one

With the new phone, did they put some sorta "service invoice" sheet in the box? Should list a bunch of info on the phone, and down towards the bottom, there's a section that shows the party responsible for the repair costs....what does it say there?

brinox

Bronze
Apr 30, 2007
there is a row that specifically says Covered Repair status or something very similar to that, and to the right of that in the same row it says:

"this is a covered repair. Apple takes responsibility for all service charges"

ill have to double check the exact wording, but thats the in-depth gist of it.

i think they should have included some sort of invoice if they were billing me right?

frank85

Jul 9, 2007
i think they are handing out new ones right now but in 6 months or so they will just send refurbished ones... I think right now is the best time to replace your phones if you have any issues...

thats what i think at least...

:)

brinox

Bronze
Apr 30, 2007
nonetheless, i got charged when Apple said they were covering it, and i have that on official Apple paper

brinox

Bronze
Apr 30, 2007
muahahahahaah i feel like god to Apple, inc. right now - i sat on hold after being transferred like 5 times and the lady i spoke with said she would reverse the charge this time in light of the error made with the replacement bill.

she then proceeded to make it clear that accidental damage is NOT covered by the standard warranty. which i thought DUH thats not the issue that is at hand here!

o well. my situation was resolved as per how it should have been, given Apple's choice to claim they are taking the hit, and then billing me.

Natalie was her name, said the charge reversal should post on my account within the next 2 businesss days :)