Got the iPhone but still have serious questions

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

newyork1

Oct 19, 2007
Bought the iPhone (coming today) despite my passionate hate for iTunes.
I shall not flame about iPhone's shortcomings, they are well known, and I have obviously accepted them. Butttt, I have important questions that may or may not have been addressed, but I have not found them on these forums. Here goes:

1)I have my own (*wink, wink*) songs(mp3) and movies on my PC hard drive. As a former Ipod user I suspected (reasonably) that iTunes messed with my mp3's. Will I be able to pass along my movies and songs to my iPhone or will it deny me, mess with my movies, or just plain tell me to f*#& off?
2) I keep hearing slang on these forums such as "jailbreak", and "bricked". Unfortunately I have not caught their meanings because I'm a halfa computer moron. Lol...
3) Are the updates really powerful? Meaning, do they really make substantial changes or are they like when normal phones do some b.s. update that has absolutely zero apparent change to the phone?

Thanks, hope someone can take their time to help me out with these inquiries.

itcomic

Oct 15, 2007
Bought the iPhone (coming today) despite my passionate hate for iTunes.
I shall not flame about iPhone's shortcomings, they are well known, and I have obviously accepted them. Butttt, I have important questions that may or may not have been addressed, but I have not found them on these forums. Here goes:

1)I have my own (*wink, wink*) songs(mp3) and movies on my PC hard drive. As a former Ipod user I suspected (reasonably) that iTunes messed with my mp3's. Will I be able to pass along my movies and songs to my iPhone or will it deny me, mess with my movies, or just plain tell me to f*#& off?
2) I keep hearing slang on these forums such as "jailbreak", and "bricked". Unfortunately I have not caught their meanings because I'm a halfa computer moron. Lol...
3) Are the updates really powerful? Meaning, do they really make substantial changes or are they like when normal phones do some b.s. update that has absolutely zero apparent change to the phone?

Thanks, hope someone can take their time to help me out with these inquiries.
jailbreak is used to unlock iPhone. Ibrickr is used to install 3rd party program to your iPhone. Apple update are totally awesome because they simply suck every possible penny that you have by providing you a service to purchase online , that's IT !

newyork1

Oct 19, 2007
!

The music and the movies man, the music and the movies! Most important question of all was left unanswered, but thanks for the answers to the others!

termleech

Zealot
Gold
Sep 7, 2007
McPherson, KS
The music and the movies man, the music and the movies! Most important question of all was left unanswered, but thanks for the answers to the others!

your "own" music and movies should work just fine. I've got plenty of my "own" as well and they transfer over without a problem. I switch out episodes of Family Guy on it all the time and just put on Transformers. For the video you just have to make sure it's in a format that iTunes understands to convert for the iPhone.

newyork1

Oct 19, 2007
!

Is it wrong for me to say I love you? Jk, but seriously thats great news! Can you be a pal and elaborate what type of formats are accepted? Of course I can dig it up myself when I get it, but since your here... Much thanks btw!

termleech

Zealot
Gold
Sep 7, 2007
McPherson, KS
I believe iTunes supports mp4 and avi. The iPhone supports mp4 format in a strange pixel type. However if you get the video into iTunes you can right click on the video and hit convert selection to iPod will convert it to work on the iPhone.

Or if you want the video to be exactly the correct size for the iPhone, use an app like ffmpegX to convert the video to the right format. I'll have to check the size if you can't find it yourself (I'd just have to open up Handbrake and look at the preset)

Popdevil

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
Is it wrong for me to say I love you? Jk, but seriously thats great news! Can you be a pal and elaborate what type of formats are accepted? Of course I can dig it up myself when I get it, but since your here... Much thanks btw!
Just grab a program called Videora

tfg

Jun 20, 2007
You can use your own mp3's and just load them into iTunes an sync them to the phone. Video's are a bit more complicated. You have to be in one of two formats for the iPhone. mp4 or .h264 or whatever it is. I've also heard that the latter doesn't work that well, so I've been doing everything in mp4.

I highly recommend Cucusoft iPhone suite. It's the easiest thing I've seen yet and it works great for me. It cost $40 USD but it's worth every penny. No bullshit hacking, re-formatting etc. I don't know how to do that stuff and it's not worth my time. I'd rather just buy the program.

It's simple. The DVD to iPhone converter is money. You just pop in the DVD and like 30-40 minutes later, the mp4 pops out, all in one step. Plus, it shows you a preview of what the movie will look like on the iPhone screen and lets you crop the lines or go to full screen etc. Pretty seamless. The file converter I haven't used but if you have another video on your computer, let's say an .avi file, it will convert it to mp4 for a sync to the iPhone.

As far as the updates, there've been three so far, and the first 2 had nothing different that I could see. It was just to fix bugs and etc. The third actually had some functionality changes and new options, more of the kind of update I think people have been looking for.

termleech

Zealot
Gold
Sep 7, 2007
McPherson, KS
DVD to iPhone is done for free with Handbrake. It's nice and easy and offers all the same functionality but doesn't cost me a couple cases of beer :)

However handbrake doesn't do video -> video conversion.