Aug 2, 2007
ATL
I believe that is the symbol for Roaming

iNinja

Zealot
Gold
Aug 8, 2008
UK
Its not the symbol for roaming...it is the symbol for GPRS for sure. I have it on my screen when i have no 3g or edge

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
Vladislav Jaden said:
This symbol shows that GPRS is attached. You can detach GPRS if you don't use GPRS very often. This will increase you mobile battery life up to 20% more and will also remove the small blue background G on your mobile screen. To detach the GPRS, slide your phone up and enter this code: *#4777*8665# This will appear on the screen like this: *#4777*—– . Then, a secret menu will appear on your screen. Go to the option GPRS Detach and click it. Next you will have to wait some time, about 3-4 seconds and get the message: GPRS Detach confirm.
Then how do you re-attach it?

This sounds like it would do more harm than good. Even if you don't use GPRS hardly ever, it's usually always there to bounce back on- you can still send/receive email, send MMS and even browse the internet (although it will be v.slow)

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
P.S your so called code... does not work either.

iNinja

Zealot
Gold
Aug 8, 2008
UK
IPW, I thought you would have noticed when he said... "slide your phone up" lol

;)

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
IPW, I thought you would have noticed when he said... "slide your phone up" lol

;)

Can't you tell I'm feeling somewhat stupid. Either this poster was stupid or talking about a completely different phone (mmm... let me think) :sick:

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
GPRS is then, thanks. I was pretty sure that's what it was and that they just changed the symbol.

Hawk, that got me thinking though. AFAIK, there is no roaming in the US on AT&T. You either have AT&T service or you have no service. With Sprint, you can roam on Verizon's network where there is no Sprint service (since Verizon has the best CDMA coverage), but AT&T has the best GSM coverage in the US, so there is no "better" network to fall back on. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
They changed the symbol back on 2.x when they got rid of the boxes around E and 3G. Remember when everyone got mad because it got a little harder to read?

Jul 16, 2008
Colorado
I've noticed the GPRS symbol on occasion for a while now but wasn't clear about what it was.

Tonight I was in a different part of the city and I couldn't get it to go away for anything. I tried resets, shut down and restarts, turning location services on and off and the same with 3g and wi-fi. I even went so far as to run the iPod while playing Sluggers until I finally ran the battery dry. It was really driving me crazy.

I got home plugged it into the wall charger and once it got enough juice I checked it and the little pesky circle icon was gone. Knowing I wasn't willing to do that every time this happened, I searched the internet for an answer and finally game across the status icons and their descriptions page on the Apple site.

I laughed at myself when I realized running the battery down didn't cause the problem to un-freeze or go away; getting back into edge and 3g territory did.

Shame on AT&T for bragging about having one of the nation's largest 3g networks and not even having edge available in parts of a metropolitan city.

djwindsor

Contributor
Silver
Jul 7, 2009
Neponsit, NY
I've seen this symbol too (rarely). I do remember reading that it is indeed GPRS which is S L O W E R than Edge (Is that correct?). Side note to EUROPA.
What theme was that you had on your phone. I love those icons!

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I've seen this symbol too (rarely). I do remember reading that it is indeed GPRS which is S L O W E R than Edge (Is that correct?). Side note to EUROPA.
What theme was that you had on your phone. I love those icons!
Yes, it's very slow.
Thanks, that's just a theme I put together myself.