GPS accuracy?

Kaitlyn2004

Bronze
Aug 6, 2008
Is there a reason the GPS is so inaccurate? Does anyone know what chip it is?

When it goes to the blue dot it often puts me AT LEAST a block away. It will also randomly lose it (no tunnels/tall buildings) and jump back to the triangulation circle.

I have a bluetooth GPS receiver which is almost always EXACTLY on.

aenti

Zealot
Gold
Jul 8, 2008
Maryland
I want to know this. Sometimes when I push locate it just performs the old triangulation method, rather than use GPS.
I was outside, 3g on, location services on. Any idea of why it did/does this?

BigCiX

Zealot
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Bakersfield, CA
I gotta say mine is accurate. Try hitting your location button again and see if that'll work.

aenti

Zealot
Gold
Jul 8, 2008
Maryland
I have tried that, and it doesn't work either. Any idea anyone?

ZR_Yancy

Genius
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Florida
When I locate, it triangulates first, then automatically zooms in even more to show my exact location. You have to give it time to locate by GPS. If you're moving, it takes a little longer.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
Your all right, I work often with gps, obviously as you know it works in a similar fashion to they way the cell towers triangulate your position. Gps goes one step further and works out all your elevation/speed and location pretty much accurately
This is A-GPS which combines what we had previously and GPS,

When you hit the locate button it initially will use cell towers until your gps gets a decent signal, I've found mine can be sometimes incorrect and other times pretty much spot on, it depends where you are and if you have an unobstructed line of sight to the sky

Weather is a variable as well, but that's to complicated. Lol.

Best bet is to just give it a few mins, if needs be take it in and get a new one, even if it means dragging a Apple genius outside the shop and making him stand there to prove it doesn't work!

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
I haven't had many problems with mine. I don't use it a whole lot as I use my in car navigation but everytime I've used it it has been spot on.

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
I want to know this. Sometimes when I push locate it just performs the old triangulation method, rather than use GPS.
That's happened to me, but only once. I dunno, maybe a glitch in the Matrix.

flabyboy

Jun 25, 2008
Minnesota
I have had problems with 3G on. Turn it off and it will most likely work flawlessly

dagoo98

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
If you are having problems with the GPS........go to reset location services which can be found in the settings. It cleared up the issues that I was having.

coop1701

Zealot
Silver
Jun 30, 2007
I have not had any issues with my GPS. It's worked flawlessly on a couple trips I have taken since getting the phone. My only complaint is that following directions would be easier if the next leg of your trip would automatically scroll, instead of me having to hit a arrow key.

I can say I traveled all over Savannah Ga, and it was accurate within a few yards.

Aug 12, 2008
Gps

My is very dead on, I was testing it while driving down the freeway and zoomed in to see the buildings around me and it was passing them as I was. Gotta say I was happy to see how accurate it was.

Shonai

Jun 24, 2009
My 3Gs is somewhat accurate but it pinpoints my home position as being the nearest Cell tower which is like 2 miles away across the river where i live.

Anf i don't live in that cell tower so you can see my dilemma.

I wonder if that translates in other GPS readings and if one can "force" the GPS in some way to recognize the right place where i am and not some antenna while i'm using 3G and not WI-FI...

:(

iPhoneMonster

Bronze
Jan 18, 2009
Hahahah... Just realized why mine was off... I had switched location services off :)

Terry M.

Contributor
Silver
Feb 27, 2009
Des Moines, Iowa
I use mine a lot with my job. I'm a service person for the local water utility and I'm always using it if I'm in a new area. Mine has been dead on accurate 99% of the time. Once in a great while it will be off by a block and then after a minute or two, it suddenly moves to my exact location. :eek:k:eek:k

Aug 2, 2007
Long Island N.Y.
My 3Gs is somewhat accurate but it pinpoints my home position as being the nearest Cell tower which is like 2 miles away across the river where i live.

Anf i don't live in that cell tower so you can see my dilemma.

I wonder if that translates in other GPS readings and if one can "force" the GPS in some way to recognize the right place where i am and not some antenna while i'm using 3G and not WI-FI...

:(
I find it to be much more accuate on my 3gs then it was on the 3g.
I don't think you can force it to a closer position to you.
That being said:
I
don't
have
a
signature
I
never
saw
one.
What on earth ever possesed me to type that ;)

djwindsor

Contributor
Silver
Jul 7, 2009
Neponsit, NY
Since I am using mine successfuly with Tom Tom I must say it is pretty accurate. I imagine in the next iPhone version they will put an even better chipset in which will negate the need for a supplemental mount that Tom Tom is going to offer. Truth be told, I find it to be so decent that there is no need for the mount. I NEVER lose the signal unless I am in an area that prevents my phone from having access to the horizon (eg. underneath an elevated highway, tunnel, lower level of bridge).

lionqueen

Bronze
Aug 28, 2009
Beautiful San Francisco
Mine is usually accurate to within ten or fifteen feet. I read somewhere that they don't want it exactly accurate for security reasons - I don't remember the details, something about they don't want ppl to use it to stalk other ppl, or... something like that. Don't know if that's true or not, just something I read in an article online.