GPS and Google maps w/ directions

callisto9

Bronze
Feb 12, 2008
IOWA
I just got my 3G iPhone a few weeks back and finally got to messing around with the GPS this weekend. What throws me is this: say I'm at 1000 Street A and I want to route myself to Chicago, IL. I get the GPS to locate me (which it does) and I get it follow me while I'm moving (which it does) and Google maps gives me text directions with Back and Next arrows. BUT, as I'm moving, it doesn't move me through the directions. I have to manually advance the directions forward or back and even though the GPS is "following" me it doesn't automatically advance to the next set of instructions in the route. Am I understanding that right?

So even though I can watch my car follow the route, I still need to advance the directions manually? It would seem like the GPS and the directions would kinda work together.

Or is what I'm missing called turn-by-turn navigation?

Also, how well is GPS working for everyone? Many of the times when I was trying it out yesterday my little blue dot was showing me OFF the road itself. Kind-of along side it rather than on it.

callisto9

Bronze
Feb 12, 2008
IOWA
I just found the answer to my own question here:

Once underway, we quickly found that there is no link between the listed directions and the GPS beacon, designated by a blue dot. The screen would either show your current location (tracking the blue dot on the center of the display), your last turn or the next turn. After a few directional changes, we discovered it's best to hit the location button on the bottom left corner of the screen to get your current position and then follow the purple outline that designates the selected route. Once you've made a turn or passed the next waypoint, press the right arrow to advance the directions and then press the location button to get the blue dot back on the screen. It's a bit convoluted and almost makes having a passenger manning the map a necessity, but assuming you've got the screen zoomed out to an appropriate level, you can track your progress easily and see your next turn well in advance.

Source: http://www.autoblog.com/2008/07/14/shouldve-bought-a-garmin-testing-the-iphone-3gs-gps-capabilit/

callisto9

Bronze
Feb 12, 2008
IOWA
I'm still waiting for a true gps navigation for this phone.
It's kinda cool, but odd that it doesn't really work with directions/routing. I just have to hope there's updates at some point in the future.

Plastikfear

Bronze
Jan 15, 2009
Somewhere over the rainbow
I actually just tried this out the other day for the first time, too.. and while it may be a pain to have to advance with the arrows and its not turn-by-turn, I still thought it was cool watching the blue dot move right along with me as I was going down the road. On a few occasions it was not entirely accurate, but within 1000 feet or so, so thats not bad...

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
I heard xGPS, a Cydia app, adds turn by turn directions. I have it installed and it looks promising, but I haven't tried it in my car yet. It doesn't use Wifi or cell towers to find your location so I can't get it to work inside at all.

flabyboy

Jun 25, 2008
Minnesota
Gps on my iPhone is pretty flaky. I have had 2 iPhones and neither would find my location consistently. Geocaching with it is very frustrating