GPS directions question (3G)

crupp

Bronze
Sep 27, 2007
Atlanta
I want to make sure I am not crazy. When using the directions functionality in maps the blue dot tracks your progression along the purple route that has been inputted. However the turn by turn directions (top of the map) do not reflect your actual location and when you change the turn by turn the map hones in on your turn by turn status. this does not seem to make sense. it is apparent that the turn by turn can move with the map yet does not. Am i doing something wrong? I would like for the turn by turn and map to reflect the same data.

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
You're not crazy - that's the way it works. If you want to continue to see the turn-by-turn directions as you progress along the route, you have to select to view the next one manually using the arrows, and your actual location may or may not be in that view. Google Maps just doesn't work like normal GPS navigation software - hopefully TomTom or Garmin will have something out for the iPhone sooner rather than later.

crupp

Bronze
Sep 27, 2007
Atlanta
thanks macgirl. I agree hopefully sooner than later. Here in Atlanta knowing a turn is coming up before you get there is pretty important

Tex

Silver
Jul 15, 2008
Philly
I just thought I should add this little bit of stupid information.....for 5 weeks, I somehow never noticed the turn-by-turn direction functionality. Don't ask how....I am amazed at myself.

I have used the GPS at least 15 tims to get out of jam, with success without using turn-by-turn. I assumed it wasn't a function as of yet....Then when I read the comments above, I tapped the upper portion of the screen with the directions turned on, and POW, there were actual written directions.

There....that is my stupid revelation of the day.