GPS directions using more power than the car charger can offer?

mattdez

Jul 19, 2008
Here's what happened. I got in my car for a 2 hour drive. I used the GPS tracking and directions the whole way because I've never used the feature before and I didn't know exactly where I was going.

But I got in the car and the phone had pretty much a full battery. I got in the car, plugged the phone into my Griffin car charger (phone recognized it was plugged in) and went on my way. The entire time I used the EDGE network because 3G is spotty in South Carolina. When I got to my destination I unplugged the phone and had less than a 1/2 charge on the phone. Oh, and the phone also got really hot after the trip too.

Anyone else see this happening?

sherpa

Aug 6, 2008
USA
Yup! It is a well-known issue! The Griffin chargers do not provide enough juice to keep the phone charged while using GPS w/tracking.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
I have noticed the same problem while using Net Share to tether the 3G connection to my laptop.

ravman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 4, 2007
Mean Streets of LA.
It seems like the 3G is a real power hog when using certain functions. If I plug my iPhone into my PC via the USB port and run Netshare, the phone will not charge at all. If I plug the iPhone to a powered USB hub and use Netshare, then it gets charged.

I don't think the 3G will be getting the Energy Star certification anytime too soon.

Nutchos

Bronze
Jul 21, 2008
I'll have to check my kensington car charger to see if it works with gps on. I know it works okay just listening to music or streaming radio over 3g, haven't tried maps yet.