GPS Glitch

JFN

Bronze
Jul 12, 2008
Nor Cal
Well it appears my 3G GPS will NOT function without cell service, I was in the middle Highway 20 in northern California today stopped for road construction and was going to kill time and see where I was on the GPS. Clear view The of southern sky, Satellite radio was working fine. Is this just a problem or a normal function of the I phone GPS which if it is is not truly GPS? The error msg was cannot connect to cell service.

John

PapaST

Bronze
Sep 10, 2007
Maybe it has to use cell signal to assist in triangulating your location. Some GPS units can take awhile to search for satellites. I'm sure that can be a big battery drain. So maybe it's programmed to only use GPS if it can use cell service to assist in satellite search.

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
The GPS on my iPhone works even if I don't have a SIM card in or Wi-Fi access.

It finds my location with the blue dot but doesn't load the map...obviously.

JFN

Bronze
Jul 12, 2008
Nor Cal
From Apple website:
Maps on iPhone 3G combines GPS, Wi-Fi, and cell tower location technology with the Multi-Touch interface to create the best mobile map application ever.

http://www.apple.com/iphone/features/gps.html

Thanks, according to your link I read that the GPS should work without cell service or wifi, wifi and towers to be used in lieu of no GPS signal. Am I reading correctly?

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
Thanks, according to your link I read that the GPS should work without cell service or wifi, wifi and towers to be used in lieu of no GPS signal. Am I reading correctly?
Yes you are.

nyc_rock

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
Calling TomTom, are you there TomTom?

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
It seems a bit like a double edged sword. But at least you know you're somewhere once the blue dot appears.